Author Topic: 1841 census.  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 August 16 14:49 BST (UK) »
There are 3 baptisms 27 Nov 1836 but father is William John waiter Surrey Street.

Children Lewis John - William ? - Sarah Ann Maria
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline 12tootsi34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
Re William John. In all his dealings John and his family have all called him 'John'. If you look you will find that the baptism was carried out by one of the household members. She also reported the death of his son in 1836 where she also calls him William John. My investigations have not found any one related with this name, so I have had to discounted this as wrong bearing in mind that few people could read or write then.
West, Alexander, Banham, Balchin.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 August 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
William ?
I think this says William Julius born 1829. Is this the son who died in 1836?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline 12tootsi34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 August 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, William Julius died in 1836 at the age of 10 years and 8 months. Not been able to find out where he was buried. In those days the body was owned by the family and they put it where they could afford. Some got just dropped into the Thames on a cold winters night. All the local burial grounds would have been full up.

Offline 12tootsi34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 August 16 16:12 BST (UK) »
Re the horse keeper in Hayes. This man would be an Ostler which is a special job. Waiters in the Victorian period were very prim and would be very clean and precise people. They would wear a uniform of such which would be spick and span even if it was threadbare. I cannot see a person with these traits working in a stable. In big houses the horsey people would be kept away from the big house as they always smelt of the stable.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 August 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hello 12toots.....

I am not quite sure what to make of all this  ???

Identified (possibly & probably) your John West as....

There are 3 baptisms 27 Nov 1836 but father is William John waiter Surrey Street.
Children Lewis John - William ? - Sarah Ann Maria

You then state

Re William John. In all his dealings John and his family have all called him 'John'. If you look you will find that the baptism was carried out by one of the household members. She also reported the death of his son in 1836 where she also calls him William John. My investigations have not found any one related with this name, so I have had to discounted this as wrong bearing in mind that few people could read or write then.

Is this why you can't find him in 1841....looking for wrong name  ???

Maybe looking for "William John" will open doors for you....have you tried that or have you just dismissed that possibility completely  ???

Genealogy is fickle & nothing is concrete until you have the proof.
Just because he was on a later census as plain "John West" does not disclude he may have opted for that within 10 yrs  ???

I also think that some of your info. should have been included earlier to give the fact that his proper name is likely "William John"  :-\

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline 12tootsi34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 August 16 07:44 BST (UK) »
Re William John, Yes I have been down that avenue but what I have found is not fruitful.
Yes it was the custom of waiters to give themselves a quick name such as John and he could have stuck with it but as I said that avenue was not fruitful.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 August 16 17:11 BST (UK) »
Mmmm,

You refer to......

Re William John. In all his dealings John and his family have all called him 'John'. If you look you will find that the baptism was carried out by one of the household members. She also reported the death of his son in 1836 where she also calls him William John.

Can you oblige us with "all" these "dealings" whereby he is was known as John please?

Looking at the topic there are 3 counts of him being William John & that was on the baptisms of his children.

There is however, only once where he is John.....the ONLY census he was on in 1851.

To be honest, I think you are being dismissive of general hints/enquiries by others offering help.

Can you please tell us....

What name was used when "John/William John" married ?
What was his occupation on marriage if included ?
What name was given by his children on their marriages ?
What was his status on their marriages...was he deceased ?
What occupation was given on their marriages ?

All info. is essential to other's as well as yourself in order for them to help.....

We are Genealogists not Dentists.....it's like extracting teeth  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 August 16 17:37 BST (UK) »
We all love to solve a mystery and are all keen to help but as Annie says, we do need to know the work you have done to reach your conclusions & the sources. Any questions asked are for clarification or to lead us on/eliminate another route.

You've obviously done a lot of research into waiters in the mid 19th century!!
Waiters in the Victorian period were very prim and would be very clean and precise people. They would wear a uniform of such which would be spick and span even if it was threadbare.
Do you think this would still be the case for a waiter in a tavern, rather than a restaurant or hotel?
Where did you read of waiters giving themselves a quick name?

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON