Author Topic: How to record a person as a churchwarden.....  (Read 1146 times)

Offline cavair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How to record a person as a churchwarden.....
« on: Thursday 04 August 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
An answer to this question is probably down to personal opinion.....I have some people who were churchwardens but im not sure where to include this info in my genealogy program (RM6) .....Occupation, Religion or otherwise  or just record it as a note for the person.   I could enter it in Rootsmagic 6 as a "Fact" and add the year(s).   It was more a position in the church than an occupation, but its a valuable piece of their life story as they are named in the parish registers under certain years.   

What would you do?! 
any suggestions?!

Thanks
Richard
BANKS -North Yorks/Durham;  ORD - Durham;  WALKERLEY / HUGGINS / KING - Lincs;   CAVILL - Bristol;

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to record a person as a churchwarden.....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Most of them were probably volunteers,   not  paid work.

Some of them  would probably help with maintenance  and or gardening  according to their skills  and aptitude.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
I created a custom fact "Appointment", more or less identical to the built-in Occupation fact but with more appropriate wording.

It also works for other roles in church or society such as local preacher, Sunday School teacher, Census Enumerator, Assistant Overseer, councillor, Member of Parliament... - sometimes an explanatory note helps.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 16 21:38 BST (UK) »
Most of them were probably volunteers,   not  paid work.

Some of them  would probably help with maintenance  and or gardening  according to their skills  and aptitude.

The duties of Churchwardens were many and varied, some were specific to a particular period in history:
•   Management of the parish property and income. (Churchwarden’s Accounts).
•   Collection of rents.
•   Representation of the views of parishioners in parochial matters.
•   Upkeep of the church fabric.
•   Providing the facilities and allocating pews for worship. (Pew Rents)
•   Encouraging church attendance and the baptism of children.
•   Attending the archdeacons’ court.
•   Accounting for the expenditure of the church rate.
•   Helping to keep the parish register.
•   Reporting, if necessary, on any failing of duty by the incumbent.
•   Supervising the education and relief of the poor and orphans, the sick and the needy.
•   Arranging for the burial of unknown strangers and the baptism of foundlings.
•   Caring for the parish arms and paying the soldiers.
•   Removal of vagrants from the parish and the extinction of vermin.
•   The bringing of formal charges or accusations against offenders of ecclesiastical law.
•   Highway maintenance.
•   Organisation of community festivities.
•   Rigorous in upholding standards of behaviour and morality.
•   Prevention of the entry of any person to the church other than those assisting in the service.

Until 1868 the churchwardens were allowed to levy a rate on all parishioners, regardless of whether or not they attended the C of E, as in addition to their church responsibilities, they also gave relief to the itinerant poor.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 16 21:46 BST (UK) »
It was more a position in the church than an occupation, but its a valuable piece of their life story as they are named in the parish registers under certain years.   

A Churchwarden held a venerable office, with an extraordinary range of parochial responsibilities, and considerable authority, which had emerged into legal recognition by the thirteenth century. The usual arrangement was for two wardens, and sometimes four in large parishes. They were appointed annually at the Easter Vestry meeting, by the congregation and the incumbent; but in practice the incumbent frequently chose one (the vicar's warden) and the congregation the other (the people's warden). The qualifying age was twenty-one, and they had to reside in the parish. They were officers of the parish, but also had a role as officers of the bishop, as they had to report to the bishop at his annual visitation. They were guardians of the parochial morals and trustees of the Church's goods. There would be one to represent each of the townships, vills or manors in the parish, although the authority of any one of the wardens would extend over the entire parish-unlike the constable who had authority only in his own manor.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 16 08:30 BST (UK) »
I would put such an appointment into the subject's notes, that way it does not interfer with gedcom transfers.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 16 09:07 BST (UK) »
I would put such an appointment into the subject's notes, that way it does not interfer with gedcom transfers.
Cheers
Guy

I would enter it in the 'notes' about that person also.

Arthur's subheading of appointments is a good one I think.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 August 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't use a programme that forces me to have to ask such a question in the first place. But that's just me.

Every person's life story is different and there is no one-size-fits-all solution to ho wto record it. So I keep my notes in individual life stories in Word, each one written in whatever way best suits that individual.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 August 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't use a programme that forces me to have to ask such a question in the first place. But that's just me.

Every person's life story is different and there is no one-size-fits-all solution to ho wto record it. So I keep my notes in individual life stories in Word, each one written in whatever way best suits that individual.

That is what I do but Word is started each time I wish to write a note in Brothers Keeper the FH prog. I use.
This means the note is linked to the relevant person.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.