Author Topic: John Baylis / Bayliss baptism lookup request born Swalcliffe/Tadmarton 1788-1795  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
1851-1871 census info + death & burial record from Lighthorne Warwickshire indicates my 3rd Great-grandfather John Baylis was born Swalcliffe, Oxon circa 1791-1792. I gather there may be a 1795 Swalcliffe baptism of a John Baylis in Swalcliffe but the census and death info is consistant with a birth a few years earlier. The adjacent parish of Tadmarton is also a possibility.

Would be grateful of info on Baylis baptisms in either parish around that time.

Thanks
John Bayliss

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Baylis / Bayliss baptism lookup request born Swalcliffe/Tadmarton 1788-1795
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Firstly - welcome to Roots Chat. There is some amazing help and people in here so do enjoy.

There is a spelling variant on your last name BAYLIS and BAYLEY and there are variants of each of those within the parish records for Swalcliffe. The same family have had records entered as both the above  and that also appears to be the same for the records at Tadmarton.
The Tadmarton records do not have any suitable candidates for your search under either last name.

The St Peter & St Paul Church records in Swalcliffe are better and all the baptisms below are for the same parents John and Hannah

There are no baptisms before 1792
The last baptism is 1802

14 Oct 1792 - James s o John & Hannah Bayley or Baylis

23 March 1794 - Elizabeth d o John & Hannah Bayley of Baylis

22 Nov 1795 - John s o John & Hannah Baylis

24 May 1797 - Thomas s o John & Hannah Baylis  Private bapt

18 Jan 1800 - Phebe d o John & Hannah Baylis Private bapt

18 April 1802 - William Baylis Received into church (no other detail entered about this baptism)

Hope this helps

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Baylis / Bayliss baptism lookup request born Swalcliffe/Tadmarton 1788-1795
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 16 16:00 BST (UK) »
Oh yes and there is this marriage:

St Peter & St Paul Church, Swalcliffe

John BAYLEY married Hannah WEAVER of Wroxton on 9 March 1792.
Witnesses were: John HAYES & John HONE

The marriage was by licence.

Marriage by licence usually means that one or both participants were of above average wealth for the time because they could afford the cost of a licence.

Oxfordshire County Archives may well have that licence within their archive so it may well do you a turn to Google them and ask for a search in exchange for a small fee and you may well get your next generation back marriage licence - if it is one of those which I know they hold

T ra

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 16 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that info, 1795 makes him 3 years younger than the 1851, 1861 & 1871 census + GRO death and Lighthorne burial records but given the lack of possibilities in Tadmarton must be him.

I made an enquiry last week with Oxfordshire History Centre for electronic image of Swalcliffe parish register for John Baylis baptised 1795. They emailed to say Swalcliffe register had been scanned & was available at £1.50/page but have to get back to me with reference for ebank payment. Will ask for the marriage too and some of the siblings and chase up the Licence.
I've been spoilt by Warwickshire images being online on Ancestry and FamilySearch.

Cheers
John

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again
I have just given the information that is within the scanned imagery for the Swalcliffe PR's. There is nothing else in them relevant to your current enquiry. I purchased the PR's which are scanned and burnt onto CD's for all Oxfordshire from the Oxfordshire Family History Society.
I do get that to see the actual page is a great thing to do though.

The licence is different - it is the Oxfordshire County Council Archive where they hold those.

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Baylis baptism lookup request born Swalcliffe/Tadmarton 1788-1795 COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
Was considering buying OXF-BAN03 for Swalcliffe but Tadmarton is OXF-BAN04 so thanks for eliminating that.
Like seeing the original images, even if they add little factual info. I traced Thomas Bayliss' wife's side to Gloucestershire to early 1600's and the spelling and handwriting, use of roman numerals for dates, being able to confirm whether it was Feb 2nd month of 1686 rather than Feb the 11th month of 1685 adds to research, and can add an image to the tree fact.

Thanks for clarifying the licence location, will get onto it later tonight.

Would like to spend time in Oxford History Centre but also need to do the same in Warwick, Woodhorn in Northumberland and in Belfast ...plus the National Archives in London for Army records.

John

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 August 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
Year of baptism is not always the year or date of birth, and that is a fact.  I have many multiple baptisms of siblings, all on the same day, although born years apart.  One Great Aunt of mine was baptised at 21 years old, one week before her marriage.

Ages are rounded up in all records, usually by months, but sometimes years, except on actual birth certs.

Steve.:)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 13:47 BST (UK) »
Oxfordshire Marriage Bond transcriptions are available here
http://whipple.org/oxford/

Oxfordshire Archdeacon's Marriage Bond transcriptions: http://whipple.org/oxford/marriagebonds.html (as pdf's or as WordPerfect documents - that can be opened by Word).

Index of Oxford Diocese Marriage Bonds and Affidavits, 1661-1850
http://whipple.org/oxford/diocesan_marriage_bonds.html

The original documents are at the Oxfordshire History Centre https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/sites/default/files/folders/documents/leisureandculture/history/collections/church/churchcourts.pdf

John

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 August 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi John :)

If you can wait until October, Ancestry are due to release the Oxfordshire* PRs with original images.  Apparently they will be attending the OFHS annual fair - see http://www.ofhs.org.uk/fair.html for details.

*pre-1974 boundary changes

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch