Author Topic: Rookwood Cemetery, NSW - Photo request  (Read 1176 times)

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rookwood Cemetery, NSW - Photo request
« on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am researching all the Australian Soldiers that died in WW1 & are buried in the UK for this website
http://ww1austburialsuk.weebly.com/

I am currently researching Gunner Herbert George FLAXMAN, 25632, Australian Field Artillery who died on 25th November, 1918 & was buried in Southern Cemetery, Manchester, England.

From researching - the Cemetery Headstone Transcriptions on Ancestry have this information
Herbert George Flaxman died 25 Nov 1918 Buried Rookwood Cemetery Section - RRR Row 7 Plot 328 Old Church of England with an inscription of "Gnr. Bert. Our bro. Killed on active Service."

Just wondering if anyone is going to Rookwood soon & may be able to have a look & take a photo for me to go with the 9-10 page word document biography I am doing for the website

Thanks for your time
Cathy
(Modified to show Grave Plot number)
Sedgwick- George, Thomas, Charles, Eddie, Harry
Wilcockson - Thomas, Joseph, Edward, William Henry
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Rookwood Cemetery, NSW - Photo request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 16 13:05 BST (UK) »
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/371919/FLAXMAN,%20H%20G

May I add the following details re the Rookwood Cemetery transcription :

Row RRR 7, Plot 328

I think the volunteer photographer would also need to be looking for the headstone for a Mary Ann FLAXMAN, buried in that plot in April 1896, with the inscription 'our mother'.

Add:
Same Section, Plot 325 Elsie FLAXMAN. 

http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/deceased-search

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you majm

I had tried a search on Rookwood Cemetery but nothing showed but I have tried again & searched for Mary Flaxman - mother of Herbert George Flaxman who died on 18th April, 1896 Area - Zone B Section RRR Grave number 328 so the inscription must be on his mother's headstone - thank you for the information majm.

Sedgwick- George, Thomas, Charles, Eddie, Harry
Wilcockson - Thomas, Joseph, Edward, William Henry
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi cathyaus
Have you ever used the website Find A Grave?  Search the site and see if the grave is already on there.  If it is, you request it and the photo will be sent to you.
Give it a go and see how you go.

Cheers
Sharon

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
Cathy I've just checked the Rookwood CD and as Herbert and Mary are in the same plot it will be one headstone the inscriptions are on. Baby brother born and died in 1891 is in with them, but not mentioned in the inscription.

As an aside - Regarding Elsie in 325, there are 4 folk in that one:

Elsie  - 9 Sept 1976 - Mother of Mollie and grandparents of Lynette and Ian
Frederick - 12 Nov 1865

Edmund Lynam - 24 Dec 1892 aged 50 - Father
Emily Lynam - 4 July 1942 aged 94 - and mother

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
According to this Trove death notice, Herbert's mother was not deceased at his time of death, 2nd column  ???:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ieu/

As an aside again: the other Flaxman plot contains Elsie's folks and Frederick born to Benjamin and Mary.

Herbert's folks were William and Mary

Jamjar

I am thinking that Mary is his mother and the mother mentioned in the death notice is his step mother, Fanny Belinda. There is a death notice for a William who died in 1918 with wife Mrs F B Flaxman. They married in 1896.

The correct reference if someone is going to venture into the Old area - not for the faint hearted, I used to carry a long stick to scare off snakes: Zone B Row RRR 7, Plot 328.

If his father did marry Fanny, then they are buried in the Independent section.

J.

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams