Author Topic: Whatever happened to little Jackie Baldwin ?  (Read 4774 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to little Jackie Baldwin ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 August 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
See WW11 enlistment John BALDWIN. One with birth 1908, NOK the address found on electoral roll Wahroonga.

Offline Pipeclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 August 16 07:51 BST (UK) »
Zooming in on the 1908 NSW birth for John E Baldwin, at Chatswood,  apparently indicates a birth date of 18 March 1908,     which is the same birthdate which the army recorded for John Edward Baldwin who enlisted at Brisbane on 15 April 1940,   and supposedly resided at Jandowae via Dalby,  which is a bit west of Toowoomba.  His next of kin was Elanor Baldwin, according to the World War 2 nominal roll website.

Is that the one you mean,  or another John Baldwin ?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 August 16 07:53 BST (UK) »
Supporting Wivenhoe's post.  :)

Online at the NAA

66 pages for the RAAF service records for John Edward BALDWIN, including these notes
 :) that he was deceased  July 1949.
 :) that his father was George, of Coonanbarra Road, Wahroonga.

There's a great deal of family details in the file, which may well include details of living persons, so I will not type up any further info.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Pipeclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:02 BST (UK) »
There is also Bruce A Baldwin,  whose birth was registered on 5 or 6  November 1905,   at St Leonards NSW,  with parents George R and Maude Baldwin.

And the WW2 nominal roll contains Bruce Arthur Baldwin,   who enlisted on 11 August 1942 at Normanton Queensland,     and was purported born according to the army on 5 November 1905 at Hornsby NSW.   His next of kin was L Baldwin and he was discharged in 1944.

There is a registered death in Queensland,   C2377 in 1976,  Bruce Arthur Baldwin,  parents George Richard Baldwin and Maud Mail.    He would have been 71,  if it is the same person.

If these 3 entries relate to the same person,  it is interesting that he told the army he was born at Hornsby,  although his birth was registered at St Leonards NSW.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:05 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1902/3 NORTH SYDNEY polling Wahroonga
Alice Margaret MAIL, Coonanbarra Road, Wahroonga, domestic duties

Sands 1909 Suburban Directory, Wahroonga
John JONES, Coonanbarra Road and Lane Cove Road, a carter.
(JM notes that 'Lane Cove Road' in that era was the road that became the Pacific Highway !, and it is not the road between Ryde and Pymble)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:10 BST (UK) »
This sentence beginning with the following needs to be removed.
Jamjar

Did you read what all the newspapers said in 1912,  and what the coroner said ?

Anyway,  I am doubtful if it is relevant to my query, so I will take it out if I can figure out how.

I would have thought that we had come a long way - post 1903 - in how we view and refer to those with mental illness. Obviously not the case here.

Whether you're doubtful of its relevance to your query or not, providing explicit information pertaining to the event and providing a derogatory comment of your own - whether printed in a newspaper or not - on a public forum such as this, is very different to someone clicking on a link to view an article or locating the said article themselves during a web search, or specifically asking RCs to locate the information for them.

I too made a similar mistake when I first joined Rootschat, but I saw why the term I'd used may cause distress to others and apologised for my flippant remark, rather than saying that it didn't matter anyway.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:10 BST (UK) »
...  it is interesting that he told the army he was born at Hornsby,  although his birth was registered at St Leonards NSW.

The "St Leonards" district in that era was 'huge' .... and the NSW BDM districts were 'even more huge' ..... 

For example, St Leonards back in that era as an Electoral District could include as far west as Carlingford, and the border was the Parramatta River all the way to Rydalmere.   

There was nothing odd about being born at Hornsby and birth being registered in the St Leonards district.   You would need to obtain the official transcription to determine both a) the address where the birth was registered and b) the address where the birth occurred.

JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:15 BST (UK) »
I couldn't see a mention on TROVE of the death of woman near Wodonga.  Could you post a reference, please?

This is a good game of sleuth!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:19 BST (UK) »
The North Sydney Electorate in 1902 extended as far north as Morrisset, as far N-West as Wiseman's Ferry, as far west as North P'tta, and of course as far east as the Coast ! St Leonards, Hornsby, Colah, Wahroonga were all of course part of that electorate.

JM