Author Topic: Whatever happened to little Jackie Baldwin ?  (Read 4765 times)

Offline Pipeclay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to little Jackie Baldwin ?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:20 BST (UK) »
The road from Ryde towards Pymble is called "Lane Cove Road",  because between the 1850's and 1880's,   Gordon was called "Lane Cove".

The Pacific Highway was also called Lane Cove Road,  because if you were starting from Hornsby or from North Sydney,  it was the road to ... Gordon.

The main street in Lindfield was still called Lane Cove Road in the 1920's.  I guess going either way leads to Lane Cove, from Lindfield.

The road from Mona Vale towards Gordon was originally called Lane Cove Road for the same reason,   and a small part of it at Ingleside which was bypassed years ago, is still called Lane Cove Road.

Gordon was renamed in the 1880's.   There are two theories about the re-naming of Gordon.  One theory is that it was named after General Gordon who died at Khartoum.   There is a Khartoum street right next to the station.

However the Lands Dept parishes on the north shore were called Willoughby and Gordon,   and names of these two cadastral parishes predates the battle of Khartoum by decades,   and they were apparently named after a General called James Willoughby Gordon,   who was a mate of Macquarie although the Duke of Wellington had a very low opinion of him,  according to letters cited by Wellington's biographer.  So the village of Lane Cove might have been renamed Gordon simply after the parish in which it was situated.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:22 BST (UK) »
yes, that is well known info,  I was simply placing Alice MAIL's location.  :) as it seems to me that is part of this search. 

The road from Ryde towards Pymble is called "Lane Cove Road",  because between the 1850's and 1880's,   Gordon was called "Lane Cove".

The Pacific Highway was also called Lane Cove Road,  because if you were starting from Hornsby or from North Sydney,  it was the road to ... Gordon.

The main street in Lindfield was still called Lane Cove Road in the 1920's.  I guess going either way leads to Lane Cove, from Lindfield.

The road from Mona Vale towards Gordon was originally called Lane Cove Road for the same reason,   and a small part of it at Ingleside which was bypassed years ago, is still called Lane Cove Road.

Gordon was renamed in the 1880's.   There are two theories about the re-naming of Gordon.  One theory is that it was named after General Gordon who died at Khartoum.   There is a Khartoum street right next to the station.

However the Lands Dept parishes on the north shore were called Willoughby and Gordon,   and names of these two cadastral parishes predates the battle of Khartoum by decades,   and they were apparently named after a General called James Willoughby Gordon,   who was a mate of Macquarie although the Duke of Wellington had a very low opinion of him,  according to letters cited by Wellington's biographer.  So the village of Lane Cove might have been renamed Gordon simply after the parish in which it was situated.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:27 BST (UK) »
I couldn't see a mention on TROVE of the death of woman near Wodonga.  Could you post a reference, please?

This is a good game of sleuth!

Judith

I've sent you a link via PM, which has a mention.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Pipeclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
...  it is interesting that he told the army he was born at Hornsby,  although his birth was registered at St Leonards NSW.
There was nothing odd about being born at Hornsby and birth being registered in the St Leonards district.   

I was not suggesting that anything was "odd" about that.

I realise that these registration districts are and were quite big.   They also changed over time.  What might be "Wahroonga near St Leonards" in 1905  might become "Wahroonga near Chatswood" in 1910.

In fact, quite the contrary,  the fact that he told the army he was born at Hornsby,  lends some support  to the hypothesis that he was a member of the Wahroonga family, which is very close to Hornsby,  and not a member of some other hypothetical Baldwin family living at Wollstonecraft or Naremburn or some other place which is actually close to St Leonards.

Offline Pipeclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
I couldn't see a mention on TROVE of the death of woman near Wodonga.  Could you post a reference, please?

This is a good game of sleuth!

Judith

Searching for "Jacky Baldwin" on Trove and then choosing the 1910-1920 decade will reveal multiple stories about the December 1912 Wodonga  Yarrawonga incident.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:37 BST (UK) »
There is also Bruce A Baldwin,  whose birth was registered on 5 or 6  November 1905,   at St Leonards NSW,  with parents George R and Maude Baldwin.

And the WW2 nominal roll contains Bruce Arthur Baldwin,   who enlisted on 11 August 1942 at Normanton Queensland,     and was purported born according to the army on 5 November 1905 at Hornsby NSW.   His next of kin was L Baldwin and he was discharged in 1944.

There is a registered death in Queensland,   C2377 in 1976,  Bruce Arthur Baldwin,  parents George Richard Baldwin and Maud Mail.    He would have been 71,  if it is the same person.

If these 3 entries relate to the same person,  it is interesting that he told the army he was born at Hornsby,  although his birth was registered at St Leonards NSW.

Pipeclay,  I realise you are new to RChat, and I expect you are a long standing family history buff.  May I please suggest that there is simply no reason to write "purportedly" or any other adverse words.   Those words may well be considered by 21st century eyes as suggesting that the named person has been less than truthful when lodging the paperwork.  As you are relying on online indexes to make those assumptions, surely it would be sensible to re-phrase rather than to let any inappropriate inference stand.   I mention this particularly as your enquiry involves seeking someone who may well have younger living siblings.   Afterall, the NSW BDM online index does NOT display birth registrations for births where that birth occurred less than 100 years ago.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Pipeclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 August 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
Supporting Wivenhoe's post.  :)

Online at the NAA

66 pages for the RAAF service records for John Edward BALDWIN, including these notes
 :) that he was deceased  July 1949.
 :) that his father was George, of Coonanbarra Road, Wahroonga.

There's a great deal of family details in the file, which may well include details of living persons, so I will not type up any further info.

JM

I was not aware that these WW2 records were available.   I have only hitherto seen WW1,  thanks for that !

It's a bit curious that his wife is named in this WW2 file as Miriam,    but the NAA file is indexed with NOK Elanor,  and the WW2 nominal roll also has Elanor,   and the funeral notice has "May".

I wonder if he was married more than once.

The various military papers seem to have both Jandowae and Wahroonga adresses for his wife.

I will read them more closely and try to determine the date order.

Anyway,  I think this John Edward Baldwin ( 1908-1949 )  is probably the "Jackie Baldwin" who was lost in 1911.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 August 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
Mr and Mrs George Baldwin saying thanks. Second column.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i5m/

J.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 August 16 09:23 BST (UK) »

It's a bit curious that his wife is named in this WW2 file as Miriam,    but the NAA file is indexed with NOK Elanor,  and the WW2 nominal roll also has Elanor,   and the funeral notice has "May".

I wonder if he was married more than once.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

For clarity-

Marriages NSW

2490/1929
BALDWIN John E
CASE Miriam
At CHATSWOOD

11192/1944
BALDWIN John Edward
MARSHALL Eleanor May
At NEWTOWN

Sue