Author Topic: Help to Date and Clean Up Mystery Photo of "Clifton/Clinton Cottage"  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help to Date and Clean Up Mystery Photo of "Clifton/Clinton Cottage"
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 August 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Pat - those are both lovely  :)
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 August 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
A search on Trove shows that there were many dwellings  around Melbourne named Clifton Cottage, so unfortunately having that name doesn't necessarily link it to Clifton Hill. One shows up on Trove in Arden St, Hotham, but I can't see it in Street View.

M :)

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 August 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
When I was trawling Streetview for the above links, I saw around four properties that I suspect had the name Clifton Cottage. I came to the conclusion that it was most likely the generic name that the builder had used to identify the style of the property (much as builders do today when selling 'off plan').

Wiki informs that the area Clifton Hill was named by the developer after one of the first properties in the area, Clifton Farm. I think that its a fair assumption that the Clifton Cottages name was  initially based on this.

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 August 16 12:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra information matthewj64 - very interesting that there was one in Hotham too. My grt grt grand aunt died in her house on High Street, Hotham in 1903.  Her husband William Johnston ran a foundry in North Melbourne that he set up in 1856. His foundry cast the hands on the North Melbourne Town Hall clock.  The Foundry did not succeed and shut down in 1859; there was a fire on 25 Feburary 1859 and 50 houses and the foundry were destroyed.

It makes sense for the name to have come from Clifton Farm handypandy.  It would be amazing if this particular "Clifton Cottage" survives somewhere to this day as some of the others seem to.  Thanks again.
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)