Author Topic: (Completed with thanks)Burial records required.  (Read 1718 times)

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(Completed with thanks)Burial records required.
« on: Thursday 11 August 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where I can get access to burial records for Ayrshire. It seems that some of my ancestors do not have headstones on their graves.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial records required
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 16 10:41 BST (UK) »
It would be helpful to have more specific dates and places YO8.
As you undoubtedly know, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ hold all birth, death and marriage records for Scotland.
There will be local cemeteries you could possibly search, but if you give some places and dates, then people will know where to start looking.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, I have done a bit of searching already in Cumnock, Dalmellington, Maybole, Mauchline and Girvan cemeteries without much luck. I am looking for Baillie's and Mooney's with the deaths from late 1890's to 1950's, quite a bit I know. I have managed to find a grave in Kirkconnel again without a headstone so the search goes on.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at www.ayrshireroots.co.uk/Genealogy/Records/Burial/Burial.htm to get an idea of what sort of material is available?

There is also www.happyhaggis.co.uk/ayrshire-cemeteries.htm

Some partial indexes available here too www.scotlandsfamily.com/deaths.htm

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi YO8,

Would you like to share your info. with more specifics please as surnames are not always enough.
Forenames, Maiden names & dates for each would be helpful as others researching the same family may see your post.

I am looking for Baillie's and Mooney's with the deaths from late 1890's to 1950's

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
I have checked the sites mentioned by MonicaL from time to time and found these to be mainly MI's
And as goldie61 suggested I am searching for the grave of Hugh Baillie born Abt 1827 in Stoneykirk, Wigtonshire,  and died on 06/07/1882 in Dailly, his wife Margaret McChesney born abt 1841 in Dailly and died on 21/02/1905 in Old Cumnock. She was registered in Skares on the 1901 census. One of their sons William Baillie born 09/06/1865 in Dailly and died on 15/10/1939 tragically by drowning in Dalmellington, William's wife Andrewina Haynes born Abt 1867 in Dalmellington and died on 25/01/1917,Olso their son William born 08/11/1900 in Dalmellington and died on 30/11/1900 in Dalmellington. I have been informed by an elderly relative that William Baillie who died in 1939 is buried in the Old Cemetery in Dalmellington but I was unable to find a headstone on my last visit.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 August 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
It is the burial registers and lair books that you need to review and search for. From that link above to Ayrshire Roots site, there are are a number of sources given where these types of records are kept.

Monica  :)

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 August 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you MoniaL, would I be right in thinking that it would be the first person in the lair that the lair would be registered to?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 August 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
Not really. For example, a husband/father may buy a lair following the death of a close family member.

Just for interest, and example of a lair book. Lodger recently added this post to the Lanarkshire Board www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752182.0

Monica