Author Topic: Angel Street Manchester.  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Angel Street Manchester.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 August 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
Saw the repeat of Time Team today which was about Arkwright`s  mill at the bottom of Angel St.
Again I was sorry they did not excavate one of the true back to back houses , but concentrated on Angel St houses which were quite substantial and at one time were very respectable, only later did they house several families.
John St not far away, was a cellar, ground floor room, bedroom and attic.It housed 19 non-related people.The ground floor walls could still be seen in the 1990`s  and the room was 8x8 feet!!
No sanitation and only water supply from the river Irk,  upstream several tanneries which discharged into the Irk-----.Angel St was not that bad.
Interesting programme.
                                      Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Just read  a passage in Asenath Nicholson`s book about the famine in Ireland
It is amazing how alike were the conditions she describes and those Engels described as existing in Angel Meadow--and other places.
How sad that people came to Angel Meadow to escape conditions in Ireland only to find them exactly the same.

As my mum used to say-- we don`t know we are born.Viktoria.

Offline laura12965

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 February 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching Sweeney and the 1851 England Census shows my 4 great grandfather Alexander Sweeney (laborer) and his family, lived at 6 Angel Street. The census showed 3 other surnames at the address: James Griffith, John Lochan,with family and Flansburgh. The Sweeney's appear to have immigrated from Ireland, date unknown and unable to locate Irish records. The Census of 1861 shows new address of Williamson Street, which I hope was an upgrade! They subsequently immigrated to United States and settled in Natick MA. The Angel Street area sounds horrid. Multiple videos and documentaries depicting life at the time. There appears to be a pub at that location now.

Offline Deveraux

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 March 18 06:59 GMT (UK) »
My Ancestors also lived in Angel Street at this time. Joseph Sands lived at 77 Angel Street and married Mary Ginty (who lived next door). They married in 1847. Is more than possible they knew your ancestors.