Author Topic: Thomas Henry Keen 1819-1889  (Read 6795 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henry Keen 1819-1889
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 August 16 01:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar,

No point searching something that the OP has the info. for really as it saves a lot of time & effort.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 August 16 02:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar,

No point searching something that the OP has the info. for really as it saves a lot of time & effort.

Annie

I was actually suggesting the site for your future reference, as there are those who often don't have the information they need.  ;)

As in the OP stating: I am struggling to find marriages for the children. I have his daughter, Louisa Ann Keen's marriage cert but the columns for the parents is blank.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 August 16 03:09 BST (UK) »
It would appear from the trees on Ancestry that his death is the Henry Keen who d.30/12/1889 Moree, NSW (appears in 1890 death listing).   No parents given.

What I can't get my head round is that all the trees state marriage took place 27/3/1854 Maitland, NSW and Maitland marriages are shown in marriage but there is no listing under his name or hers!

How is it even known that he was born in England?   Have checked out sources on the various trees but no actual source is shown for the marriage nor is there any mention of when he arrived in Australia.   (One tree did have details of an arrival of a Thomas Keane on the ship 'Elizabeth' in 1844 but this shows said person was from Newry, Downshire (ie Co. Down, Ireland), son of a Thomas and Mary??   However, said tree then shows him to have been born in London to Thomas and Harriet.

In research you work back from known facts but none of the online trees shown any kind of 'proof' that he came from England or that his parents were named Thomas and Harriet.   Has he just been linked him to someone 'matching' his given names and approx. birthdate? - in his childrens birth records he goes from Henry Thomas, to Thomas H. and then just Henry, under which name he dies..   With no source for his marriage no idea what name he married under.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 16 03:50 BST (UK) »
I case anyone decides to search for marriages of the children, do note that three definitely did not marry:

Alfred G born 1860 died 1861 Maitland

Beatrice born 1864 died 1864 Wirialda

Caroline E born 1853 died 1864 Wirialda

Marriage: Louisa A married John Callinan in 1877 ( I thought there was something familiar here)

A possible: Thomas H (jnr) married Matilda Watson 5579/1891 NARRABRI

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 August 16 04:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar,

Annie

I was actually suggesting the site for your future reference, as there are those who often don't have the information they need.  ;)

As in the OP stating: I am struggling to find marriages for the children. I have his daughter, Louisa Ann Keen's marriage cert but the columns for the parents is blank.

Jamjar

Re those elusive blanks on the NSW BDM marriage registrations from that era.   NSW BDM records were basically a summary, and a full record was not forwarded to the Sydney based Registrar General.   There was a long running huge dispute between Church and State, finally sorted in 1895.  Rural records have not ever been 'reconciled'.   There is a recognised solution.  NSW BDM's own website notes it.   Here's a thread I did up to help overcome those blanks.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 August 16 04:19 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1878 THE GWYDIR,
KEEN, Henry, residence, Welbon, (in the Warialda Police District)
KEEN, A, residence, Tulloona, (in the Warialda PD)
CALLINAN, John, residence, Moree (Warialda PD)
CALLINAN, Patrick, residence, Moree (Warialda PD)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 August 16 04:39 BST (UK) »
Hi JM, being the super sleuth that you are, any thoughts on Keen marriages for those born:

Thomas H 1856

Florence E V 1862

James H 1866

Emma F 1869

Jamjar

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 August 16 04:45 BST (UK) »
It would appear from the trees on Ancestry that his death is the Henry Keen who d.30/12/1889 Moree, NSW (appears in 1890 death listing).   No parents given.

What I can't get my head round is that all the trees state marriage took place 27/3/1854 Maitland, NSW and Maitland marriages are shown in marriage but there is no listing under his name or hers!

How is it even known that he was born in England?   Have checked out sources on the various trees but no actual source is shown for the marriage nor is there any mention of when he arrived in Australia.   (One tree did have details of an arrival of a Thomas Keane on the ship 'Elizabeth' in 1844 but this shows said person was from Newry, Downshire (ie Co. Down, Ireland), son of a Thomas and Mary??   However, said tree then shows him to have been born in London to Thomas and Harriet.

In research you work back from known facts but none of the online trees shown any kind of 'proof' that he came from England or that his parents were named Thomas and Harriet.   Has he just been linked him to someone 'matching' his given names and approx. birthdate? - in his childrens birth records he goes from Henry Thomas, to Thomas H. and then just Henry, under which name he dies..   With no source for his marriage no idea what name he married under.

Annette

Thank you so much
This is what I was thinking. The trees I found are just not making sense! It does make more sense that he was Irish as he married the daughter of Irish convicts. I am thinking that its possible they married in Sydney as their first born daughter was baptised there in 1853. Her birth records show that she was the daughter of Frances Hennessey and Henry Thomas Keen. So I am thinking his name was Henry and Thomas was his middle name.
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 August 16 04:47 BST (UK) »
Her husband seems not to be interred with Frances KEEN

Narrabri Cemetery
Keen   Frances
Date   17 Mar 1919
Age   83y
JW (not sure what his means.)