Author Topic: Are Scarborough Muster Books 1760s to 1815 in BT 98 at TNA?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Are Scarborough Muster Books 1760s to 1815 in BT 98 at TNA?
« on: Saturday 13 August 16 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hello

1. There is a claim that Merchant Muster Books for Scarborough, also survive in TNA, Kew, in BT 98 from 1747 to 1835?

2. Also Books equivalent to Parish Registers, births, deaths and pensions, plus Apprentices, survive for Masters, Crew and Sailors?

My dates of interest are 1763 to 1815 - Scarborough and hopefully members of my family may be recorded, but BT 98 files are not even available to download.

Found the one in the Customs series for Scarborough, but it is too early to start with.

Done a search for Scarborough in BT 98, but no Scarborough listed for the dates.

Is Scarborough under Shields, please?
Therefore, I presume the Muster Books from 1747 to 1835 covering Scarborough in TNA, Kew, must come under "Shields and other Northern Ports"?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_ep=Shields&_cr1=BT%2098&_dss=range&_sd=1770&_ed=1814&_ro=any

Has anyone looked at the Shields books (on the above) link please:-
1. was Scarborough listed?
2. what other Ports?
3. is Hull covered?

I've found much, little read stuff in TNA files in the past, but someone with an interest and knowledge in the  Merchant / Ship TNA 'BT' series would be most helpful, please?

Thank you, regards Mark

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Are Scarborough Muster Books 1760s to 1815 in BT 98 at TNA?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
According to Scarborough Maritime Heritage the Muster Rolls of Scarborough ships are stored in the British Library. They do however have a sample page on their site.
http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/article.php?article=508
The muster rolls for the port of Hull are at the Hull History Centre.
http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/discover/hull_history_centre/our_collections/source_guides/muster_rolls.aspx
As far as I understand The earlist Crew Agreements in BT98 for Scarborough are from 1835 but in my experience not many ships will be recorded for that year.
I cannot give you any advice on "Shields and other Northern Ports" I have always thought this   refered to the other Tyne ports.
I am at TNA on Tuesday, so will take a look and keep you posted.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 16 00:13 BST (UK) »
According to Scarborough Maritime Heritage the Muster Rolls of Scarborough ships are stored in the British Library. They do however have a sample page on their site.
http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/article.php?article=508
The muster rolls for the port of Hull are at the Hull History Centre.
http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/discover/hull_history_centre/our_collections/source_guides/muster_rolls.aspx
As far as I understand The earlist Crew Agreements in BT98 for Scarborough are from 1835 but in my experience not many ships will be recorded for that year.
I cannot give you any advice on "Shields and other Northern Ports" I have always thought this   refered to the other Tyne ports.
I am at TNA on Tuesday, so will take a look and keep you posted.

Hello, Thank you for the information.

I will make enquiries with the British Library.

Any general info on BT 98 re Scarborough around 1780s, would be much appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
Was at TNA yesterday. Took a look at two random pieces BT98/122 and BT98/124 Shields and other Northern Ports.
These pieces are badly titled. There is nothing to say which port a vessel belonged to. Only the name and tonnage of the vessel. followed by members of crew and their birth place. Most crew members gave Newcastle as their birthplace but others variously from northern towns such as Blyth, Gateshead etc. Like every other seaport there were men from all over the place from Philadelphia to West Africa.
We know that Newcastle ships were registered in Shields up until 1845.
There was nothing to suggest that Scarborough musters were among the pages.
Did you get any response from the British Library?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Seaweed

Thank you for the photo sample.

TNA, Kew
CUST 91/111 Muster roll of sailors of ships registered at Scarborough 1747 - 1750
CUST 91/112 Muster roll of sailors of ships registered at Scarborough 1754 - 1765
However, looking for 1780 to circa 1810 (Both initially too early, but may be useful later)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Scarborough%20Muster&_ser=CUST%2091&id=C5667

British Library
Only found these Muster Rolls of the India Office
http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecordsfamilyhistory/occupations/europeanncosandprivatesoldiers/europeanncos.html

North Yorkshire County Record Office
Ref ZOX Scarborough Merchant Seamen's Hospital & Trinity House
Accounts, minutes, muster rolls, pensioners 1747-1910 [MIC 615-8]

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/ed29abc7-4ee2-4e75-aebe-71f12caf0e7d

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
Was at TNA yesterday. Took a look at two random pieces BT98/122 and BT98/124 Shields and other Northern Ports.
These pieces are badly titled. There is nothing to say which port a vessel belonged to. Only the name and tonnage of the vessel. followed by members of crew and their birth place. Most crew members gave Newcastle as their birthplace but others variously from northern towns such as Blyth, Gateshead etc. Like every other seaport there were men from all over the place from Philadelphia to West Africa.
We know that Newcastle ships were registered in Shields up until 1845.
There was nothing to suggest that Scarborough musters were among the pages.
Did you get any response from the British Library?

Hello Seaweed

British Library responded, they have no Scarborough Muster Rolls, but see TNA.

However, this information of yours (quoted) is absolutely brilliant, thank you!!

John Hood, Mariner, Marriage at Newcastle - Dec 1779
Because in the last few days Rootschatters (dobfarm's Richard Gibson thread, under North Riding - Yorks) have done sterling research and have traced my 5 X Gt. Grandfather to John Hood, a Mariner, at Marriage to Elizabeth Gibson at Newcastle 15th December 1779, (with John Hood's son George baptised later at Gateshead 1st October 1786).

Did you get any other random photos please of a John Hood, around the time of their 15 Dec 1779 Newcastle marriage, giving a birthplace for John Hood?

Edited: Seems around the time of their Newcastle Marriage (but vessel unknown), he should be in:-
BT 98/129 Port of Registry: Shields and other Northern Ports, and
BT 98/130, hopefully.

I discovered in November 1782, that John Hood returned to Shields from Inverness with the Mary and then to Newcastle where the vessel was advertised for Auction on the 19 November 1782, so there is possibly something also in:-

BT 98/130 Port of Registry: Shields and other Northern Ports 1779 - 1782 and
BT 98/131 Port of Registry: Shields and other Northern Ports 1781 - 1783.

I wondered please, if you are able look and get a photo for John Hood of this "Mary" who returned to Shields and then Newcastle, as a birthplace (and any other information) would be most helpful and interesting? Thank you.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
2nd Attachment, for the above post.

Mary, Hood, from Inverness to Shields, in 16 November 1782 newspaper.

Thanks Mark

Offline thelastninja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 17:20 BST (UK) »
Mark

Did you ever manage to find out anything about the muster rolls at the national archives? I’m also interested in Scarborough ships and crew from 1765-1796

Hello

1. There is a claim that Merchant Muster Books for Scarborough, also survive in TNA, Kew, in BT 98 from 1747 to 1835?

2. Also Books equivalent to Parish Registers, births, deaths and pensions, plus Apprentices, survive for Masters, Crew and Sailors?

My dates of interest are 1763 to 1815 - Scarborough and hopefully members of my family may be recorded, but BT 98 files are not even available to download.

Found the one in the Customs series for Scarborough, but it is too early to start with.

Done a search for Scarborough in BT 98, but no Scarborough listed for the dates.

Is Scarborough under Shields, please?
Therefore, I presume the Muster Books from 1747 to 1835 covering Scarborough in TNA, Kew, must come under "Shields and other Northern Ports"?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_ep=Shields&_cr1=BT%2098&_dss=range&_sd=1770&_ed=1814&_ro=any

Has anyone looked at the Shields books (on the above) link please:-
1. was Scarborough listed?
2. what other Ports?
3. is Hull covered?

I've found much, little read stuff in TNA files in the past, but someone with an interest and knowledge in the  Merchant / Ship TNA 'BT' series would be most helpful, please?

Thank you, regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 23 16:57 BST (UK) »
Mark

Did you ever manage to find out anything about the muster rolls at the national archives? I’m also interested in Scarborough ships and crew from 1765-1796

Crew Musters (entered into bound volumes) - Port of Scarborough at TNA, in the Customs Series ...
CUST 91/111 dates 1747 to 1750 [about 650 pages]
CUST 91/112 dates 1754 to 1765

The L/H pages include vessel name / master, include entries of each named vessel, most name the Crew, their Ages, Birthplaces and Abode, for a named vessel at least once.

R/H pages 1st column have date, needed to work out approx year of Birth.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Scarborough&_cr=CUST&_dss=range&_sd=1747&_ed=1800&_ro=any&_st=adv