Author Topic: Frederick HAMBRIDGE, born Yeovil, Somerset, 1834  (Read 479 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Frederick HAMBRIDGE, born Yeovil, Somerset, 1834
« on: Sunday 14 August 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Hopefully someone can fill in the gaps.

Frederick HAMBRIDGE enlisted in 1854 Royal Artillery 3 Battalion.   Service Number 4175.   Transferred to the 13 Battalion in 1858. He died of "Sickness" in 1859 serving with 14 Brigade.  These details courtesy of TNA WO 69/105/260 and WO 69/596/264.

Sadly, FindMyPast's appropriate index has no record of him.   I would like to know a little more about his service, where stationed over those 5 years, for instance, and of course where he died and the reasons for his death.

Thank you and for the moment,

BAC3

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick HAMBRIDGE, born Yeovil, Somerset, 1834
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 August 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
There's a burial record in the India Office records for Gunner Frederick Hambridge, No.4 Battery, 11th Brigade. Died 14 August 1859 of dysentery; buried the same day at Allahabad. Age appears to be dittoed down from the previous entry which was 21.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 16 11:35 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ,

Thank you for that information, I am extremely grateful.   It certainly helps to understand a little more about him.   The age is somewhat questionable and all I can reason is that it was mistranscribed in the records and should have read 27, which would have been closer to the mark.

Apparently he would have seen service in the Crimea and I wonder if it is possible that could be confirmed or otherwise.

Once again, my thanks,

BAC3

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 August 16 12:14 BST (UK) »
Yes he's on the Crimean War medal roll. Captain M Adye's Company, 3rd Battalion RA. Sebastopol clasp.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 August 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
There's a snippet here about Captain Mortimer Adye and his battery at Sebastopol https://goo.gl/G880FI

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 August 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ,

I shall be forever in your debt, not only for the details in your messages but, more importantly, teaching me that by using the correct terminology, "Crimea War Medals", for example, Ancestry is a treasure trove of information.

Thank you

BAC3