Author Topic: Locating a specific address on a census?  (Read 8163 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a specific address on a census?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 August 16 01:11 BST (UK) »
Cheshire Non conformist & Catholic registers (Burials)

Find My past has the image/transcription (in Latin) of the death of Fantum (sic) Moore, aged 80, died 23 July, buried 25 July 1865 - abode "Stockport".
A separate record (transcription only) records his burial at "Stockport, Municipal Cemetery"

• That record is key! I believe Fenton who died in 1865 was my 5x Ggrandfather. Now to prove it!

• There is no record of a Fenton Moore that fits his age in the 1861 census. Could old and younger Fenton be the same man and appear different due to an error? It's maddening as this is truly the clue that will bring down my brick wall after all of these years!

Anthony Moore (his father's name is Fenton!) of 3 Benisons Court is my 4x Ggrandfather's brother.
        Fenton Moore of 9 Benison's Court must be an uncle to Anthony I'm thinking.

My hope is that the old Fenton Moore, of 4 High St. (from death certificate) down the street from the both of them is Anthony's (and my 4x GGrandfather Denis') father because that will obviously determine that he's my 5G Ggrandfather and open up many doors!

Problem: No old Fenton on the 1861 Census, only younger one and Anthony.

Query: Is the Fenton from 9 Benison's Court AND Fenton who died in 1865 actually the same person with only a large discrepancy in recorded age?

This is the main reason I'm trying to place the addresses...to bring them together as a family group and not random neighbors.

The person listed on old Fenton's DC is Catherine (don't know if it is wife, daughter, etc.). Younger Fenton is living with his daughter Catherine in 1861 but there are Catherine's running all through the family so that doesn't really net me much.
      Do you all have any suggestions? I don't know where else to search for clues. I can't find a death for younger Fenton either......

Again, so many thanks for all your wonderful feedback!
      Brenda
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 20 August 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
How have you determined Anthony's father is named "Fenton" - Scottish marriage possibly?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 20 August 16 10:23 BST (UK) »
The name 'F*nton Moore' is dotted around isn't it. Perhaps a family name through different lines of a family.

It is difficult to prove but to me it does look very likely that the 1861 and the death is the same person - an old man is old so determining an age might not matter.

1871 3665/9/14 has a Catherine Moore 55 yrs, born Queens County, boarding at the Kings Arms in Stockport.
If this is the same Catherine she has aged 24 yrs between censuses. :-\

You speculate that Fenton might be an uncle to Anthony but as his father is also Fenton that can't be right.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 20 August 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
I was puzzling over the "Uncle" angle - didn't seem to fit. Hence the interest in the source of Anthony's father.

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 August 16 18:35 BST (UK) »
Oh that was foolish of me. Of course that could not be Anthony's uncle! Don't know what I was thinking. Cousin maybe  ::)

I got the name Fenton Moore as father on my 4x Ggrandfather Denis' marriage certificate (Fenton Moore, butcher). I got Anthony Moore being his brother on the 1851 Scotland Census when they were listed as such.

I just can't find any explanation to the Fenton confusion other than a sizable error somewhere. So I would think the more likely error would be on the census rather than the death certificate?

Although, if Fenton was indeed much older than the census says, he would have been 50 when his daughter Catherine was born. Possible I guess.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 August 16 19:30 BST (UK) »
Have you noticed that Fenton is classified as married on the 1861 census  ???

A few years ago I helped someone who was researching one of Anthony Moores children, I can't remember many of the details but I seem to remember that Anthony and his wife Elizabeth Cummins had a son Fenton born in Scotland about 1857. He isn't on the 1861 census and I don't think we found a death cert for him. But we did think that he had been named after Anthony's father.
Again from memory didn't Anthony marry Elizabeth Cummins in 1849 and son Alexander was born 1850 yet on the 1851 Scotland census he wasn't with Elizabeth and I don't recollect that she was found.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 20 August 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
What a memory you have Rolnora! Yes, I have located a great deal about Anthony's family including children. I found Elizabeth with first born Alexander living with her family while Anthony was in Edinburgh. Never have found deaths for either Anthony or wife Elizabeth. The son you mention was actually named John Fenton Moore. He stayed local and died in 1922.

I did notice the marital status and have tried to look for his wife. Maybe she was visiting someone that day. But have no way of knowing what her name is.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 20 August 16 21:05 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that Anthony has disappeared by the time of the 1871 census but Elizabeth is on there still at Beninsons Court. Two of the boys John and Anthony have been placed in the ragged school.
I do remember searching for more info about them at the heritage centre, I couldn't find anything. In 1881 John is an officer at the Ragged School. Is this the John you mean I don't recollect him being John Fenton?
Elizabeth died 1879 in Stockport aged 52
And none of this helps with the 80 year old Fenton does it. ???
I'm at the library sometime next week and I will try to find out a bit more. With luck there may be an obituary for him

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 20 August 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
That's the John. I found the birth record to Anthony and Elizabeth. Also, found his obituary where it was listed that way as well. I knew about the boys being in Ragged School. So sad, they must have had a time of it. Anthony moved to the U.S. with brother James right after Elizabeth's death. Son Alexander began working for the Ordnance Survey as were so many of the family members including my Denis Moore.

Yes, and then there's Fenton. I would be beyond grateful for your help when you visit next week. Many thanks!!