Author Topic: Locating a specific address on a census?  (Read 8168 times)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a specific address on a census?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 20 August 16 21:29 BST (UK) »
Fingers crossed that I can find something that will help clear it up for you. ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
Oh that was foolish of me. Of course that could not be Anthony's uncle! Don't know what I was thinking. Cousin maybe  ::)

I got the name Fenton Moore as father on my 4x Ggrandfather Denis' marriage certificate (Fenton Moore, butcher). I got Anthony Moore being his brother on the 1851 Scotland Census when they were listed as such.

do you have Anthony's marriage details - wondering how he describes his father.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 21 August 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
Is this Dennis in 1861 - reference RG09  24  76  20

Dennis Moore, age 48, Officer Service Department, born Ireland. Other members of family are wife Bridget and 7 children (inc a grandchild). The family is in Hammersmith, London.

If YES, am puzzled by the presence of Robert Moore, son, age 9, born Scotland - as transcribed by FindMyPast. However, the original looks more like "Flatan?" - certainly not Robert.

A Fenton Moore was baptised at St. Mary's Church, Edinburgh, on ? day of January, 1852, born 28 Dec 1851, lawful parents Denis Moore and Bridget Law. The baptism is a copy dated 18 Mar 1870 as part of providing Civil Service evidence of age.

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 21 August 16 16:24 BST (UK) »

[/quote]

I do have the OPR record of their marriage in Scotland, but unfortunately no parents were listed.  :-\
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 21 August 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
Is this Dennis in 1861 - reference RG09  24  76  20

Dennis Moore, age 48, Officer Service Department, born Ireland. Other members of family are wife Bridget and 7 children (inc a grandchild). The family is in Hammersmith, London.

If YES, am puzzled by the presence of Robert Moore, son, age 9, born Scotland - as transcribed by FindMyPast. However, the original looks more like "Flatan?" - certainly not Robert.

A Fenton Moore was baptised at St. Mary's Church, Edinburgh, on ? day of January, 1852, born 28 Dec 1851, lawful parents Denis Moore and Bridget Law. The baptism is a copy dated 18 Mar 1870 as part of providing Civil Service evidence of age.

Yes, that's him in both records.  :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 21 August 16 21:34 BST (UK) »

I do have the OPR record of their marriage in Scotland, but unfortunately no parents were listed.  :-\
[/quote]

Would the civil record show his parents?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 21 August 16 21:53 BST (UK) »

Would the civil record show his parents?
[/quote]

They were married in 1849 pre civil registration unfortunately  :(

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 25 August 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda,
I visited the Heritage Library yesterday. I couldn't find anything about a Fenton Moore in any of the directories. I checked every directory from 1858 up until 1865 and couldn't see a Fenton.
The service for his funeral was held at St Joseph's RC church which is on Tatton St not far from the address given on his death record.
I found his burial record at Stockport Borough Cemetery it was really hard to read the writing being very faint, but yes he was 80 when he died on the 23 July and was buried 25th July at 4pm.
I checked newspapers for an obituary but couldn't see anything.
There was a grave number on the record, D413, so with fingers firmly crossed I nipped into the office at the Borough Cemetery this morning in the hope of finding out a bit more.
Unfortunately the grave was what was known then as a "paupers grave" so nothing helpful there either.
None of it takes you any further forward with this mystery and I'm sorry about that. If you or anyone else reading this and can think of anything else that I could check please do let me know. ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 26 August 16 03:04 BST (UK) »
rolnora you are an ANGEL! Thank you SO much for taking the time to help me. I'm sad too that Fenton didn't show himself. So sad to know he was in a pauper's grave. They certainly didn't seem to make out well.

After reading your note, I gave it much thought and I'm not giving up hope. I just can't get past the huge discrepancy in age between Fenton 1 and Fenton 2 to be an error. I just can't believe they are the same person. I'm still entertaining the idea that old Fenton came to England from Ireland late in life between 1861 and 1865 and young Fenton left after the census. If I don't believe that, I'll have to admit I've hit a wall a mile thick and after this many years that's too much to bear lol!

Again, my many thanks for your kindness! Should you need any help in California, I'm your girl! :) ;)