Author Topic: Locating a specific address on a census?  (Read 8158 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a specific address on a census?
« Reply #90 on: Friday 02 September 16 05:40 BST (UK) »
Just looked at a couple of directories - no Moores mentioned  :(  It would be good to place them on Coote Street or in Mountrath at the time.
Mountrath reads as quite a prosperous town - although as many other places, the population diminished considerably between 1841 and 1851.

I suppose that advertising - Ancestry etc - and the Internet lulls us into thinking that we can solve all our difficulties but as we find it is not that easy to make connections.

Thanks for giving it a try Heywood. I think you're right about the advertising! Not giving up though...not yet! :)
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 02 September 16 06:57 BST (UK) »
Far from "stepping down" I think that this Moore's family are going to be with me for ever now ;D ;D
I've been reading through all of your posts and it seems that over time you have covered as much ground as you could and I don't want to keep repeating stuff that you already have. ;)
When I was trying to help someone a few years ago we came to the conclusion that Anthony had gone off to the states, perhaps with the intention of sending for Elizabeth and the rest of the family and that the boys had followed him there after the death of Elizabeth.
Have you tried to find him anywhere other than in England?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 02 September 16 07:16 BST (UK) »
According to Stockport Borough Cemetery records,
Elizabeth Moor of Gladstone Terrace, Shaw Heath died 5 Oct 1879 aged 52 years, Grave No B432
For some unexplained reason I'm not convinced that this is your Elizabeth Moore. ???
I didn't have time to delve into it yesterday but will do more when I can.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 03 September 16 06:54 BST (UK) »
Far from "stepping down" I think that this Moore's family are going to be with me for ever now ;D ;D
I've been reading through all of your posts and it seems that over time you have covered as much ground as you could and I don't want to keep repeating stuff that you already have. ;)
When I was trying to help someone a few years ago we came to the conclusion that Anthony had gone off to the states, perhaps with the intention of sending for Elizabeth and the rest of the family and that the boys had followed him there after the death of Elizabeth.
Have you tried to find him anywhere other than in England?
That's what I like to hear!  ;D  I've been digging and digging to try to find signs of Anthony somewhere else but cannot. His two boys end up in Fall River, Massachusetts. They went over in 1880 and in the 1880 census are living with James Moore and his family. So thought I was onto something! I've now done hours of digging on that family and found they were from Ireland but living in Lancashire prior to their move to the states. James Moore's father was John. A relative no doubt, but not what I was hoping for!

We know Anthony didn't fall of the earth and must have gone somewhere. Can't help thinking he's the one living with James and Jane Moore in the 1871 census as a surveyor but can't be sure. Nonetheless, no sign other than that, if that is him. I know what you mean on Elizabeth. There's got to be more to that story. Always thought he was a rogue who left his family but I like your version much better  ;D  Thanks for hanging in there with me! :)
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY