Author Topic: Firm of J.G.Carter Bury Lancashire - badge makers?  (Read 523 times)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Firm of J.G.Carter Bury Lancashire - badge makers?
« on: Thursday 18 August 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about a school badge for Bury Grammar School.  It is marked Regd (sic registered) J.G.Carter Bury.

Bury archives have no record of it but I suspect the badge dated between 1930-60s.  I have looked on the Bury business list for 1938 and it is not there.

Can any help me to date the badge by identifying when the firm was in operation?

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Firm of J.G.Carter Bury Lancashire - badge makers?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
according to Wikipaedia the school's crest has not changed since around 1840

Offline lancaster.jim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Firm of J.G.Carter Bury Lancashire - badge makers?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 16 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, Alan, 

Bury Grammar School for Boys has a website - http://www.bgsboys.co.uk/bgsb/  That includes a contact page.  The school is very interested in its own history, so a note to the school may provide help

Jim Lancaster (Bury, Lancs.)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Firm of J.G.Carter Bury Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 16 14:40 BST (UK) »
according to Wikipaedia the school's crest has not changed since around 1840

Thanks but Wikipedia is about as an authoritative as a source as 'I met a bloke down the pub who told me that...' :)

The school has used at least 2 crests as shown on these copies of the school magazine.  The bird and motto and also a full coat of arms as seen on the cover of their 1948 version.  http://www.bgsarchive.co.uk/authenticated/Browse.aspx?SectionID=192&tableName=ta_boys_publications

I have trawled through all of the school magazines but cannot find a picture of any school cap in use.  The CCF wore a cloth badge of a school design in the 1960s which it is reported in the school's magazine of 1969 was replaced by a Royal Regt of Fusiliers badge.

I have emailed the school and await a response.