Author Topic: Rev William B Quinn  (Read 1266 times)

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev William B Quinn
« on: Friday 19 August 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
There is a brass plate in St Aidan’s Cathedral, Enniscorthy inscribed:
‘In memory of Rev W.B.Quin, C.S.Sp. who died Feb 2nd 1890’. A second brass plate gives details of John Quinn died Jan 18th 1882 and of Sarah his wife who died October 24th 1880. The baptismal register of St Aidan’s lists the baptism of a William to John Quinn and Sally Askins on 21/1/1858. Marriage register shows them married on Feb 12th 1850. I have come across another plate which says he was ordained on October 18th 1883.
I am unable to find William’s death in Irish records so he may have died overseas. He is not mentioned in Fr Gahan’s book the Secular Priests of the Diocese of Ferns.
I am searching for details of where William was ordained, where he died and where he is buried.
Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev William B Quinn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Freeman's Journal, 8 Feb.1890
QUINN- Feb. 2, 1890, at the Mother House of his Order (Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Chevilly, Paris), after a tedious illness, borne with Christian patience, Rev. William B. Quinn, aged 32, son of the late John and Sarah Quin, Duff_ Hill, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, deeply regretted by his sorrowing friends. R.I.P.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 16 19:11 BST (UK) »
Nice find. Thanks for that.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:32 BST (UK) »
You may be able to get a copy or link to his death cert on the Europe board
see this Topic i had 2013 got some magnificent help from Jorose,Global moderator
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=645911.msg4926349#msg4926349

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 August 16 01:17 BST (UK) »
There is a brass plate in St Aidan’s Cathedral, Enniscorthy inscribed:
‘In memory of Rev W.B.Quin, C.S.Sp. who died Feb 2nd 1890’. ...... He is not mentioned in Fr Gahan’s book the Secular Priests of the Diocese of Ferns.
Hardly surprising, as he was not a secular priest of the Diocese of Ferns.
I would think the obvious thing to do would be to contact the Holy Ghost Fathers directly?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 August 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Aghadowey, Dathai and Wexford Flyer for information and advice. Found information I needed on Irish Spiritan's (Holy Ghost) website. I hadn't come across site before now.  :)

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 October 22 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Culbaire, Im very interested in the Quinn/Askins family in Enniscorthy.  My Quinns start with my Grandmother Mary Eliza Quinn and go back to the marriage of James Quinn and his wife Bridget Redmond (Bridgets parents James Redmond and Kitty Kavanagh in 1811 in Enniscorthy).

I did collect all of the names of the children of Sally/Sarah and John Quinn - from memory about 11 of them which included 4 sets of twins.  I did indeed feel for that poor lady.

Im hoping they will connect up with my Quinn family but I have been overwhelmed with DNA matches and messages that keeps me from progressing this couple to see-if there is a connection between.   I still have cousins living Enniscorthy and they have been amazed that they are connected on one strand that they didnt know about and in fact my cousin sat next to a Quinn in school and didnt realise they were related until I told her about my research.  We only met 2 years ago online by a twist of fate but were off and running as soon as we met.  Heres hoping.  I only found out this morning that site wasnt closed by the founder as i thought many years ago😍
Sunderland Durham, Kent - Mennell/ Mynell/Meynell Vaux Dowey Gibbons/Gibbins Dewart Haugh Calder/DNA match.
Updated 2024.  Many more names available
Long Melford Suffolk - Piper Sore Whittle Dread Bruning Durwin Howe Sansum Hardy
Enniscorthy County Wexford - Quinn Brien/Bryan Redmond Kavanagh Cullen Rourke Nowlan Byrne Power OBrien
County Down to Sunderland - marriage of Robert Dewart (born Ireland c1842) to Barbara Haugh 1869 in Sunderland, siblings Rebecca, William, Mary and more.

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 October 22 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire, I'm very interested in the Quinn/Askins family in Enniscorthy.  My Quinns start with my Grandmother Mary Eliza Quinn and go back to the marriage of James Quinn and his wife Bridget Redmond (Bridgets parents James Redmond and Kitty Kavanagh in 1811 in Enniscorthy).

I did collect all of the names of the children of Sally/Sarah and John Quinn - from memory about 11 of them which included 4 sets of twins.  I did indeed feel for that poor lady.

Im hoping they will connect up with my Quinn family but I have been overwhelmed with DNA matches and messages that keeps me from progressing this couple to see-if there is a connection between.   I still have cousins living Enniscorthy and they have been amazed that they are connected on one strand that they didnt know about and in fact my cousin sat next to a Quinn in school and didnt realise they were related until I told her about my research.  We only met 2 years ago online by a twist of fate but were off and running as soon as we met.  Here’s hoping.  I only found out this morning that site wasn't closed by the founder as i thought, many years ago.
Sunderland Durham, Kent - Mennell/ Mynell/Meynell Vaux Dowey Gibbons/Gibbins Dewart Haugh Calder/DNA match.
Updated 2024.  Many more names available
Long Melford Suffolk - Piper Sore Whittle Dread Bruning Durwin Howe Sansum Hardy
Enniscorthy County Wexford - Quinn Brien/Bryan Redmond Kavanagh Cullen Rourke Nowlan Byrne Power OBrien
County Down to Sunderland - marriage of Robert Dewart (born Ireland c1842) to Barbara Haugh 1869 in Sunderland, siblings Rebecca, William, Mary and more.

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 November 22 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clemmie
My interest in the Quinn family was simply a plaque found during a clean up which mentioned that Rev William B Quinn was “ordained in this church”. I was trying to ascertain the particular church. I have no connection with the Quinn family. Culbaire