Author Topic: George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead 1st Oct 1786, any info please?  (Read 17545 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead 1st Oct 1786, any info please?
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 23:16 BST (UK) »
Talking of spelling variation

Scarborough Quaker monthly meeting 1784

George Head bn 3rd January 1784, parents: Joseph ( cordwainer) and Hannah Head of High Hoyland.

Does the witness look like Mary Hood  ???

Looks good

Right place Hood /Spencer/Selby & Scarborough

George had Quarkers in the family

Right date

Mary --Hood (Definitely)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 23:27 BST (UK) »

It does look quite good doesn't it :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 23:37 BST (UK) »
Can you find a marriage of Joseph and Hannah Hood or Head or other children of the couple
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 23:39 BST (UK) »

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZG7-NPC

Sorry to disappoint, I have this Scarborough 1871 Census page printed off and it should be transcribed as HOOD.

This is James Hood, son of my George Hood and Sarah Russell who married Selby in July 1815 and James and Sarah Hood's children (Sarah Hood nee Arundel).

In Sarah Hood's (nee Arundel) lineage according to Goughy, there is illegitimacy involving Wilkinson, so Wilkinson won't help either.

I wonder what is happening as it use to search okay with Hood, on the Library Ancestry!

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 23:56 BST (UK) »

Can only see the baptism of Eliha in 1791, same parents: Joseph and Hannah Head, he a shoemaker

Now there are these burials I'm trying to find details for

Joseph Head (1785) and Hannah Head (1787 Malton registers)  in Yorkshire, but not on F*P or Anc* but listed on bmdregisters

Cant see a marriage either

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 20 October 16 00:33 BST (UK) »

Right the Hannah we can rule out she was the wife of a Thomas

Another Child Joseph HEAD buried 1785, where are they from Toppet/Toppel ?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 20 October 16 00:50 BST (UK) »
Me too, but I think I'm resigned to it being wishful thinking  :'(

I think a closer inspection of the Tynemouth PRs would definitely be helpful though as the missing pages and Hood / Wood uncertainty really isn't helping matters.   The Joshua Hood will naming his brother as John Hood of North Shields could be something though, but Ive no idea what the petition could refer to.

... in the Pearl      18 Feby 97
['Pearl' possibly a misspelt abbreviation for Parliament.]

As it starts DO I'd wondered if it meant Died Overseas & is referring to HMS Pearl?  From what I can make out (and ships really aren't my thing) Commerce of Marseilles didn't leave dock again, so could Joshua have transferred to the Pearl? 

Hello All and Thank you

Jomot you are correct (but only in part) that the "Commerce de Marseilles" did not leave Port again.

Unclear if Any Lives Were Lost or Not
Portsmouth, Saturday, May 2. ... It is at present uncertain whether any lives are lost or not; however, we are happy to add that no other man of war in the harbour received any damage in consequence of the above accident.

Terrible Loss of Life
The local newspaper of 11th May (extract at Reply #55) confirms terrible loss of life and damage did occur to other ships. The unmanned cannons of the Boyne also began firing and an explosion occurred.

Commerce de Marseilles to change name to Boyne
Several newspapers report shortly after the ship Boyne burnt out at Spithead, in a little sentence under Admiralty instructions, it states that the "Commerce de Marseilles" will change her name to the Boyne.

Captain of the Boyne Cleared
The Captain of the Boyne was cleared at a Court of Inquiry on the 19th May 1795 at Portsmouth.

Captain of the Boyne Transferred to the Commerce de Marseilles (now renamed Boyne)
The Captain was effectively transferred from H. M. Ship Boyne to H. M. Ship Boyne (ex Commerce de Marseilles renamed Boyne).

Death in Service = Date of Discharge = Date of Death
However, as you spotted Jomot, Joshua Hood died and almost certainly on his date of Discharge, being 1st May 1795, the date of the Boyne fire.

Both Ships Names on the Will Outer
I get the feeling Joshua Hood may have been on the Boyne, or his death caused by the Boyne (perhaps a cannon firing) on 1st May 1795 - "Boyne Joshua Hood".

Both ships, Boyne and the Commerce de Marseilles are on the Will outer.

The Will outer suggests H. M. Ship Boyne is linked to his death. Oldest trick in the book to leave ambiguity and can cover your backside later.

Pearl, Possible Misspelling for Parl.
I've seen Pearl as a misspelling for Parl., an abbreviation of Parliament, so there has possibly been some challenge made and decided in 1797.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 20 October 16 01:32 BST (UK) »
Scarborough to Scissett near Denby dale are about 90 miles from each other

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.5851&lon=-1.6202&layers=171&right=BingHyb

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 20 October 16 01:54 BST (UK) »
Still can't find a marriage for Joseph and Hannah

Have also found a report of something that happened on the Boyne. Only a portion of it, but thought you might be interested

"" Boyne :" slops are usually sold on the main deck: the Defendant produced samples to ascertain whether his directions had been followed: some of the men said, that they were not in want of any cloaths, but were told by the Defendant that if they did not take them, he would punish them; and others, who stated that they were only in want of part of a suit, were obliged to take a whole one, with anchor buttons to the jacket, such as are usually worn by petty officers only. The cloathing of the crew in general was light and adapted to the climate of the West Indies, where the ship had been last stationed. Soon after the delivery, the "Boyne" was burnt, and the crew dispersed into different ships. On that occasion, the Plaintiff having expressed some apprehensions for himself, was told by the Defendant "Captain Grey (the Captain of the 'Boyne') and I will see you paid ; you need not make yourself uneasy." After this the commissioner came on board the "Commerce do Marseilles" in order to pay the crew of the "Boyne" ; at which time the Defendant stood at the pay table, and having taken some money out of the hat of the first man who was paid, gave it to the Plaintiff; the next man refused to part with his pay, and was immediately put in irons. The Defendant then asked the commissioner to stop the pay of the crew, who answered that it could not be done.""

Dated: 27 Nov. 1797