Author Topic: George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead 1st Oct 1786, any info please?  (Read 17550 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead 1st Oct 1786, any info please?
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 14 September 19 08:39 BST (UK) »
Yes! 2 John Hood's and maybe a visiting one.

BUT ! There is still only one unexplained future or burial of a George Hood baptised 1786 in Gateshead

and one unexplained beginning of roots of George Hood resident Selby from 1812 - Est - birth year 1786 -Well schooled, educated and had various practical trade skills and business trades knowledge learned somewhere ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 16 September 19 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello

dobfarm, maybe one day, the evidence will be catalogued or found ;D to prove who they are, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 22 September 19 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

dobfarm, maybe one day, the evidence will be catalogued or found ;D to prove who they are, Mark

BushInn1746,
Only if one looks for or finds the right archive (similar to finding the source of George Hood's burial 1846 Selby Quaker burial ground, the relevant document found in certain archives with your persistence to find with the local Selby logic that pointed where it was) if such documents can be found to either accept or eliminate George Hood bapt 1786 Gateshead once and for all.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 26 September 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
Note has ...
Boyne Joshua Hood
87355 Ent 21 Oct 1793 QM'r Disch'd 1 May 1795
Commerce of Marseilles 

"In 1793, Boyne set sail on 24 November for the West Indies"
HMS Boyne caught fire and blew up on 1 May 1795 at Spithead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Boyne_(1790)

I think a closer inspection of the Tynemouth PRs would definitely be helpful ...   The Joshua Hood will naming his brother as John Hood of North Shields could be something though, but Ive no idea what the petition could refer to.

Looking at nee HOOD (Mothers) circa 1800 (more info c.1800 Baptism Registers) in the North Shields / Tynemouth area, her Father was from Berwick.

Census - some Gateshead HOODs born Scotland.

Will of Joshua Hood, Quarter Master of H.M. Ship Commerce de Marseilles, written 9th November 1795
Awaiting reply re copies, for several Musters from 1794 and 1795, to see if Joshua's Birthplace was given.

The above ship's Musters 1794 - 1795 are not on Anc / f m p  :(

Richardson
We're looking back from HOOD = RICHARDSON marriage now. A second Richardson Will (1805) is awaited.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 27 September 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Bits & pieces found, also show one Hood of Tynemouth and one Hood of Newcastle link to Berwickshire.

Robert Hood born about 1784

The Morpeth Herald, 27th November 1875
At Chirnside, Berwickshire, 17th inst, aged 91, Robert Hood, father to William Hood, Esq., of Tynemouth.

See image, also Newcastle All Saints, Baptisms 1807, the Father of Robertson's Wife Eleanor Hood, was Robert Hood [, a] Smith of Berwick.

Mark

----------

Added: No evidence to link my HOODs to Burrell ...

Quote from your post

"Seems a John Hood appears and disappears in the Gateshead Land Tax.

Q/D/L 2. Gateshead 1789
Property of Mrs. CLARK; occupied by John (Mr.) HOOD"

(Assume above Mrs Clark could be a widow  ??? being named on the land tax)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DTG3-F62?i=143&wc=SDFL-7M9%3A1310048468%3Fcc%3D2365059&cc=2365059

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.msg6028821#msg6028821
Reply # 267

extract: - From William Hood's Will/probate 1788 (Shields -Tynemouth)

" to be paid and amongst, my niece Margaret Clark widow of the John Clark late of Bishopwearmouth in the said county cordwainer-deceased " (Leather worker)

Register of Burials in the Parish of Tynemouth in the Year 1805
Eleanor Hood of No. Shields, Daughter of William Hood, Mariner, aged 21 years, died 12th Jan. / Buried 14th Jan.

Comment
Unfortunately, the 1788 Will says "William Hood of South Shields" Mariner, was linked to William Hood Burrell of London.

25th July 1779 St Dunstan, Stepney Baptisms.
Wm Hood, S of John Burrell of Ratcliff, Millwright & Ann.

No knowledge of Burrell being family to date.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 25 October 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
Will of Joshua Hood, Quarter Master of H.M. Ship Commerce de Marseilles, written 9th November 1795, says his Brother was John Hood now Residing in North Shields Northumberland near the Custom House Quay.

The 1st May 1795 Muster of H.M. Ship Commerce de Marseilles (held at TNA, Kew) confirms Joshua Hood aged 32 was born Newcastle upon Tyne.

Giving a Birth for Joshua Hood about 1763 at Newcastle upon Tyne.

Added
Looks like Joshua's Father was George Hood, baptised All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne 1764 (From FS, not checked)

-----------

John Hood, Mariner aged 23 years married Elizabeth Gibson at Newcastle upon Tyne All Saints in 1779 (born about 1756) and John Hood was at Shire Moor (Tynemouth B.T.) 14th December 1783 when Eleanor Hood Daughter of John Hood, Mar'r, was Baptised.

There is reputed to be a burial / death for Elizabeth Hood, Wife of a John Hood, Tynemouth 10th November 1788? (Register not seen, info from Family Search only, no occupation or residence given).

1st July 1792 Tynemouth B.T., Baptism John S of John Hood, North Shields, Mar'r [Mariner].

-----------

Lord Hood had brought the Commerce de Marseilles (a captured French ship) away from Toulon. I wonder if Lord Hood and Joshua Hood, Quarter Master, born Newcastle upon Tyne were related?

It seemed after Joshua Hood was discharged, he remained on board the Commerce de Marseilles until he died. His previous H.M. Ship was the Prince and seems Joshua was also linked to the Ship Boyne.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 26 October 19 03:14 BST (UK) »
Port in every storm or there are 2 (Ports) ends to every ships journey or more en-route  Is/was John Hood of Selby & Scarborough the same John Hood of North Shields in his path of life as a mariner.

If memory serves me right ? John Hood of Scarborough - his dad was a George.

George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead ( another port) 1st Oct 1786

George Hood resided Selby (another port) circa 1812 to age 60 at death 1846 = estimate year of birth 1786 and his fathers first name was ????

Quote you

Will of Joshua Hood, Quarter Master of H.M. Ship Commerce de Marseilles, written 9th November 1795, says his Brother was John Hood now Residing in North Shields Northumberland near the Custom House Quay.

Looks like Joshua's Father was George Hood, baptised All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne 1764 (From FS, not checked)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 28 October 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but not known if old George Hood of Scarborough, Mariner born about 1708 and Maudlin born about 1710 (parents of John Hood buried Selby 1819) and George Hood the possible Father of Joshua Hood born Newcastle upon Tyne are the same George.

Mark