Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119918 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 21 August 16 00:06 BST (UK) »

Elizabeth Hood nee Gibson Born 1759 daughter of Thomas Gibson Newcastle- wife of John Hood married 1779 Newcastle mother of George Hood b 1786 Gateshead is sister of Richard Gibson b 1762 son of Thomas Gibson Newcastle

Thus Richard Gibson Cooper is uncle of George Hood both Coopers Wren lane Selby

Hello dobfarm

Done my diagram, just to clarify you mean ...

Richard Gibson cooper is uncle to George Hood

Kind regards, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 21 August 16 00:18 BST (UK) »

Wonder if the Gibsons are from this family ~ Thomas Gibson and Elizabeth Brown married here

https://archive.org/stream/collectionofarmo00rich#page/n335/mode/2up

Hello Claire

Thank you.

On page 20, there is a Richard Gibson of Newcastle, Chapman, died 1718 and in his Will he Gave to the Poor of this Parish of St Andrew thirty pounds.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 21 August 16 00:22 BST (UK) »
Lets not forget Thomas Gibson was a labourer of Hall's gate and John Hood who married Elizabeth Gibson was a mariner of Newcastle -not exactly aristocrats vocations

Assuming Richard Gibson the Cooper his dad a labourer had no wealth himself, then his older wife Mrs  Wainwright nee Corbert maybe the source of Richard the cooper - wealth

Jeremiah Wainwright if he left a will maybe interesting
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:54 BST (UK) »
Only one that fits

John Hood X Mary Davison married 8th May 1756 Chester Le Street, Washington, near Sunderland Durham county  (George Hood of Selby -his Grand parents -?)

John Hood batptized 13 March 1757  son of John and Mary Hood in Cat Deans stable, Chester Le Street, Washington, near Sunderland Durham county (George Hood of Selby father John Hood a mariner went on to marry Elizabeth Gibson Newcastle 1779 John Hood states born 1756 on bond allegation -?)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 21 August 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm, Claire and All

On the attached, old 1" scale Ordnance Engraving the Halls are named as Coxlodge Hall, Gosforth and Fenham Hall.

I have reduced the map size to 80%, but clarity is lost if reduced anymore (not to original scale).

To the South of Fenham Hall, the road West-North-West out of Newcastle upon Tyne passes a place marked "Hall". Possibly gated, called Hall gate?

The Town Moor, the two districts of St Andrew and St John are marked.

Regards Mark

EDIT: Condercvm (Roman Fort), Newcastle upon Tyne

Fenhall Hall was built/held by William Ord and John Ord
http://broadsides.me.uk/music/ordname.htm

Hello Claire, dobfarm and All

I have briefly edited my original post (quoted above) with additional information. The old Ordnance Engraving I posted (Reply 30 on this thread, page 4) indicates the location of Roman Fort Condercvm / Condercum.

Also, this Halls Gates that you mention Claire, could it be Walls Gates?

Because there is a Roman Fort on the road between Fenham Hall and Benwell, Newcastle.

Type into Google "Condercvm Roman Fort" Newcastle upon Tyne
and pick the following for a modern map ...
Map of Condercvm (Roman Fort) - Saturday Walkers Club

On Pastcape ID No. 25041 Benwell Roman Fort
http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=25041

My old engraving shows the Roman Antiquity on the main road, so likely a Gate [with a either wall of soil, or defensive ditch, either side of the gate].

Fenhall Hall was built/held by William Ord and John Ord
http://broadsides.me.uk/music/ordname.htm

Thank you all.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 21 August 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
Assuming Richard Gibson the Cooper his dad a labourer had no wealth himself, then his older wife Mrs  Wainwright nee Corbert maybe the source of Richard the cooper - wealth

Jeremiah Wainwright if he left a will maybe interesting

The birth of Richard's son, Thomas, records his father as "Farmer" and on his daughter's birth "labourer".   Jeremiah Wainwright died aged 25 in 1787.  He was a waterman.  No Probate/Will listed. 
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 21 August 16 10:26 BST (UK) »

Also, this Halls Gates that you mention Claire, could it be Walls Gates? Because there is a Roman Fort on the road between Fenham Hall and Benwell, Newcastle.

I took a look at the original of the baptism the Claire mentioned, and it definitely said Halls Gates.

The Roman Fort you refer to, Condercum, was adjacent to Westgate. The documentary evidence Jomot and I have found suggests that Walls Gate was associated with either the Town Moor or nearby Nuns Moor, which are a little distant from the area of Condercum

There are many excellent old maps of Newcastle here, https://newcastlecollection.newcastle.gov.uk/maps I have looked at all of them but cannot find Walls Gate.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 21 August 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
After phoning my cousin who lives in Durham but knows Newcastle-The 'Halls gates' were the entry gates to Fenham Hall drive local name now for the busy  T junction

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 21 August 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
After phoning my cousin who lives in Durham but knows Newcastle-The 'Halls gates' are the entry gates to Fenham Hall drive local name now for the busy  T junction

Excellent. Fairly close to what was known as Nun's Moor
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=54.9892&lon=-1.6578&layers=171&right=BingHyb

I can vouch for it being a busy junction  ::)  :-X
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk