Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119931 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 21 August 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
After phoning my cousin who lives in Durham but knows Newcastle-The 'Halls gates' were the entry gates to Fenham Hall drive local name now for the busy  T junction

Excellent. Fairly close to what was known as Nun's Moor
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=54.9892&lon=-1.6578&layers=171&right=BingHyb

I can vouch for it being a busy junction  ::)  :-X

I've edited my original post replacing the word are to were
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 21 August 16 10:54 BST (UK) »
After phoning my cousin who lives in Durham but knows Newcastle-The 'Halls gates' were the entry gates to Fenham Hall drive local name now for the busy  T junction

Hello All

Many, many thanks for all your replies.

Thanks dobfarm for the insider info/local Intell., and yes the gates to the Hall, alias Halls Gates, according to the map you posted is depicting a boundary line and on this boundary, of the Moor.

Fenhall Hall was built/held by William Ord and John Ord
http://broadsides.me.uk/music/ordname.htm

Regards Mark

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 21 August 16 10:58 BST (UK) »
Apologies, the 'side by side' map I posted earlier was incorrect, here is the one centred on the map dobfarm gave (still close to Nun's Moor)

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=54.9843&lon=-1.6441&layers=171&right=BingHyb

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 21 August 16 11:08 BST (UK) »
Cousin said local  area nik name 'lower nuns'  ??? (if its north of Bradford I'm lost  ;D ;D ;D)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 21 August 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
Apologies, the 'side by side' map I posted earlier was incorrect, here is the one centred on the map dobfarm gave (still close to Nun's Moor)

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=54.9843&lon=-1.6441&layers=171&right=BingHyb

On the modern right half map in your link maps!  it says 'Nuns moor' in small green letters over Fenham Hall drive

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 21 August 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
On the modern right half map in your link maps!  it says 'Nuns moor' in small green letters over Fenham Hall drive

Scroll north on the old map you can see the major part of Nuns Moor. There was also a portion of Nun's Moor to the south of Fenham Hall Drive. There are allotments there, which you can see on the r-h map.

The 'Halls gates' were the entry gates to Fenham Hall drive

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3582870
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2019505

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 21 August 16 11:42 BST (UK) »

When the map is enlarged there is even a [George] 'Hood Street' to the South.

Just wondering ...

Hood Street, possibly named after a former Mayor John Lionel Hood ?

I very vaguely recall as a small boy, my Grandmother recalling the Lionel as an old predecessor name in the family?

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 21 August 16 12:12 BST (UK) »
Going back to cooper/mariner Hood ancestry not the posh Hood's  ???,

With George Hood d 1845 Selby son James having a child in Sunderland and later living in Durham-with Gateshead/Gibson's from Newcastle to the North and 'Houghton le spring' to the east

Chester le Street on the river wear !!! seems maybe the roots of your Hood's

That's where I would look for George's missing burials