Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119916 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Quakers in Selby Camm and Proctor
« Reply #621 on: Sunday 21 January 24 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Interested to read about Proctor and Camm in Selby. I live in the house owned by the Proctors on Gowthorpe. I think it was Thomas (1724-1798) who lived here and with his daughter Margaret who married Herbert Camm. On 28th Sept 1798 the house was sold to Margaret's niece Elizabeth Proctor for £350. On 24th October 1853, Elizabeth died and the house was inherited by Elizabeth's nephew Jonathan Hutchinson. When he died his brother Charles who was excutor of his will sold the house to John James York.

Hello Hilary

You might be interested in the Left page of the 1839 Rate Book, especially the top one attached as an image at Reply # 72 in another related thread. The page opening images I have, show the amounts columns on the right page ...

Showing Wm Procter as an Owner of a House and Tannery, Occupied by George Hood (my ancestor) and also Elizabeth Procter as Owner and Occupier, at Gowthorpe, Selby.

Link to Reply # 72 of the other thread ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6125594#msg6125594

My ancestor in 1830 (Reg'd 1831) acquired 4/5ths of a house in Gowthorpe Selby, Yorkshire, of the late John Clark Linen Draper, from Hannah Woodcock of York Widow (nee Hannah Clark); William Field of Charlotte Street, Portland Place, Middlesex Taylor and Sarah his wife the only surviving child and heiress of William Mitchinson late of Selby Joiner & Ann his wife (nee Ann Clark); Maria Anne Mason and Martha Mason Spinsters both of Thorp Arch daughters and coheiresses of Christopher Mason of Thorp Arch & Mary his wife (nee Mary Clark) and John Dickinson of Selby Plumber & Glazier only Son of William Dickinson, Tailor and Martha his Wife (nee Martha Clark).

The Memorial Deed copy, does not describe neighbouring owners.

The other 1/5th was purchased and registered later.

Mark
 ----------
Hello MollyC,

Old records for Selby are with quite a few Archives in Yorkshire, Leeds, Borthwick (at York) and elsewhere, including North, East and West Riding Archives of Yorkshire.

Mark