Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121457 times)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #72 on: Monday 22 August 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
Expanding Gibson's Selby to see if Richard Gibson was a only Newcastle Gibson in Selby

Is there a father of John Gibson in the Selby Dades parish baptism 1803 below

Elizabeth Gibson 5 August 1803 baptism
SELBY, YORK, ENGLAND
father:
John Gibson

I did check the other Gibson's.  They are from a "Selby" based family.  Richard is the only one I could find with the Newcastle connections
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #73 on: Monday 22 August 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
Expanding Gibson's Selby to see if Richard Gibson was a only Newcastle Gibson in Selby

SELBY, YORK, ENGLAND
father:
John Gibson

I did check the other Gibson's.  They are from a "Selby" based family.  Richard is the only one I could find with the Newcastle connections

There was always a chance Richard's father Thomas Gibson moved North from Selby by 1800 but doubtful if he was an established farmer/yeoman- Yet farm ag labourers did move about like gypsies being bachelors before marriage or if widowed able to move around without ties and sometimes auctioned their labour at markets ? hence greater distance between jobs on farms (More seasonal work)-Navigation workers on canals/railways were the same.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 22 August 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Scenario.

John Hood son of William Hood baptized 31st May 1737 Gosforth ( near Town moor Newcastle) Northumberland

married 8 May 1756 aged 19 to 20 to Mary Davison   Chester-Le-Street, Durham

Son John Hood (mariner) baptized 1757 Chester-Le-Street, Durham, England (married Eizabeth Gibson 1779 Newcastle)

later 2nd wife - Jane Hood wife of John Hood mariner burial Selby 1803

John Hood Died Selby aged 82 (born estimate  1737) buried 1819  ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies.

What I don't yet know, is whether John Hood, Mariner who married Elizabeth Gibson, December 1779 is the same, as the one:-

i) at Newcastle Quay in November 1782 with the vessel - MARY of Inverness?
ii) who was a Publican of the Ship, South Shore, Gateshead, in the 1787 Directory?

If George's father John Hood was Gateshead based in 1786, then he could be the Publican of the "Ship", hopefully there are some Victuallers Registers, or Licences, to determine when and how long John Hood was Publican of the Ship, somewhere?

Two of the Hoods at Gateshead checked ...
A Gateshead, 7th October 1792 Baptism for Sarah Hood, gives her father as Francis Hood.
A later 1st October 1810 burial at Gateshead for Rebecca Hood age 23 [birth about 1787], is also a daughter of Francis Hood, pitman.

Click the cross on the menu window, covering the Register underneath it and see images 140 & 789
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XCQ9-Y8H?mode=g&i=91&owc=collection%2F1309819%2Fwaypoints&wc=9K5S-PTL%3A13618101%2C24866801%2C24866802%3Fcc%3D1309819&cc=1309819

Hoods of Gateshead
1808, Jane Hood of Gateshead, marriage ...

The Rev. Robert Stodhart, of Stepney, Middlesex, to Miss Jane Hood, of Gateshead.
(not checked marriage, her age, or possible parentage)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MU0oAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA382&lpg=PA382&dq=%22Hood+of+Gateshead%22&source=bl&ots=h0-xGupdtP&sig=3HR3eUWuuWP7L9YMNfsMYiAOY4Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMn7WA-dbOAhXqLsAKHfIpBrEQ6AEIIjAB

Whether, George Hood's parents were Gateshead based and whether the other Hoods at Gateshead are linked to my George Hood, remains to be seen.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
What we know Gateshead was a port and Ship Inn was situated in that port about a 10 minute walk over a bridge from Newcastle. (Near as one location)

We know Richard Gibson's father Thomas Gibson was from or was in Newcastle 1800

We know both Richard Gibson and George Hood d 1845 were both coopers of Wren Lane Selby

We know it takes years to learn a highly skilled trade as a cooper

We know John Hood who married Elizabeth Gibson 1779 in Newcastle was a mariner

We know George baptized 1786 son of John Hood in Gateshead (virtual Newcastle) seems to have no record of him after his baptism in any format.

What we don't know was the occupation  (that could have been combined vocations with his wife) of John hood father of George Hood bapt 1786 in Gateshead.

What we don't know is an age generation reference for John Hood Innkeeper of the Ship Inn Gateshead -middle aged man as dad say born 1757 or an older man like a granddad born 1737 of George Hood bapt 1786--or a John Hood with no connect to Gateshead  an innkeeper who drifts from pub to pub around the country like vicars of churches..

I think if anything though, you can't rule out Selby, you have research it very well and if anything Tyneside/Wearside areas seems places worthy to respect of the need of research of the same level that has been put into the Selby area.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 10:08 BST (UK) »

From reading the threads re the burial of George Hood and a possible Non Conformist burial taking place - the Jane Hood that married Rev Robert Stodhart may be worth looking into further.

A Rev. Robert Stodhart was a Methodist New Connexion minister. Born 1779-1846

Info from stgite.org.uk
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 10:19 BST (UK) »

From reading the threads re the burial of George Hood and a possible Non Conformist burial taking place - the Jane Hood that married Rev Robert Stodhart may be worth looking into further.

A Rev. Robert Stodhart was a Methodist New Connexion minister. Born 1779-1846

Info from stgite.org.uk

Keep in mind though George Hood son of John in Gateshead bapt 1786  was Anglican C of E as was George Hood Selby d 1845 childrens Anglican baptisms -  an important yardstick many years

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
1808, Jane Hood of Gateshead, marriage ...

The Rev. Robert Stodhart, of Stepney, Middlesex, to Miss Jane Hood, of Gateshead.
(not checked marriage, her age, or possible parentage)

I'm losing track of what you already have, so apologies if this is duplicating:
12 Jan 1783 All Saints, Newcastle, Jane Hood d/o John Hood, Waterman

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ia6/

Edited

Doesn't look like this is the same Jane as the marriage bond & allegation states her to be a minor and aged 19 & upward.  Father was Robert.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 11:24 BST (UK) »

SELBY, YORK, ENGLAND
father:
John Gibson

There was always a chance Richard's father Thomas Gibson moved North from Selby by 1800 but doubtful if he was an established farmer/yeoman- Yet farm ag labourers did move about like gypsies being bachelors before marriage or if widowed able to move around without ties and sometimes auctioned their labour at markets ? hence greater distance between jobs on farms (More seasonal work)-Navigation workers on canals/railways were the same.

Regarding Thomas Gibson baptised Selby 9th August 1793, the first son of Richard & Elianor Gibson, occupation Cooper, it says ...

Richd son of Thos Gibson
of Newcastle, Farmer by
Elizth his wife. Elianor
dau of Leonard Colbert of
Selby, Woodman by
Elianor his wife, dau of
Matthew Lofthouse of
Towton, Farmer. Born 7th
Aug

So Richard Gibson, the Cooper, who married at Selby (or his wife Elianor, at least) seems to be at Selby by August 1793.

Jane Hood, January 1783 All Saints, Newcastle Baptism

Thanks Jomot for the All Saints, Newcastle baptism of Jane Hood dau of John Hood, Waterman.

I'm struggling to keep up with the fast pace of this thread.

Regards Mark