Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121416 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 22:02 BST (UK) »
Wife's fhopping allowance

Its venture few hudbands would dare take on :o, even if they knew what the phrafe meaning was about  ???, or  even heard of before or discuffed of in the pub.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 25 August 16 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Rather ironic the curate at St Peters Monk-Wearmouth is a Thomas Gibson c1790's  :)

I don't think this is the John Hood you want ~ this man was a cordwainer, unless he changed occupations.
Daughter Mary Hood bapt. in 1799 father transcribed as Thos.  :( he is still a cordwainer. Mother Ann daughter of Thomas Potts

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 25 August 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Rather ironic the curate at St Peters Monk-Wearmouth is a Thomas Gibson c1790's  :)

I don't think this is the John Hood you want ~ this man was a cordwainer, unless he changed occupations.
Daughter Mary Hood bapt. in 1799 father transcribed as Thos.  :( he is still a cordwainer. Mother Ann daughter of Thomas Potts

Good elimination Claire- not that there is a lot to eliminate

That was always  a wild card -based on the 1786 of Gateshead  George Hood of John Hood occupation unknown (Publican ?) baptism seeming a lone baptism. as why ? (South shore)

John Hood of Newcastle to Eliz Gibson 1779 was a mariner and not a local publican. (North shore)

Being precise John Hood was a mariner and bondsman a waterman on the bond allegation forms - Waterman is a man working on things associated with river crafts and mariners work on sea craft to sail to unknown ports.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 25 August 16 09:51 BST (UK) »
John Hood of Newcastle to Eliz Gibson 1779 was a mariner and not a local publican. (North shore)

Being precise John Hood was a mariner and bondsman a waterman on the bond allegation forms - Waterman is a man working on things associated with river crafts and mariners work on sea craft to sail to unknown ports.

I'm losing track of what you already have, so apologies if this is duplicating:
12 Jan 1783 All Saints, Newcastle, Jane Hood d/o John Hood, Waterman

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ia6/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 25 August 16 11:08 BST (UK) »
Right so what we have is

John Hood ( mariner) marries Elizabeth Gibson.

A possible daughter JANE bapt. 1783 (occ. now Waterman)
Son George bapt. 1786 ( occ. mariner ? )

Two questions: Is it likely John Hood could easily change occupations ( Mariner to Waterman) ?

We have no Apprenticeship records for either Richard Gibson or George Hood - do we know if Apprenticeship records are complete and have survived ?
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 25 August 16 11:44 BST (UK) »

......................Is it likely John Hood could easily change occupations ( Mariner to Waterman) ?..........

Hi, I can't see a problem with a Mariner later becoming a Waterman  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 25 August 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
1801 Trades Directory Newcastle & Gateshead

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/ref/collection/p16445coll4/id/218299

Thanks dobfarm

An online free search suggests no 1845 burial at Gateshead, for George Hood.

Apparently, a Company of shareholders opened Westgate Hill General Cemetery, Newcastle, about circa 1828, so I am trying T & W Archives, who have the Registers.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/N13630970

G.H., could be here (or there), I'll let you know, if at Westgate Hill General Cemetery.

dobfarm, thanks for your emails.

Regards Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 25 August 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
Again, apologies if I'm going over old ground (hard to keep track of so much info!), but looking at the bondsman for 1779 marriage of John Hood & Elizabeth Gibson - John Scott, Waterman.

Has anyone looked into the following marriage? 

1775, All Saints, Newcastle
John Scott & Eleanor Hood

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N6PG-Y65

ADDED
Looks like the marriage was 27 Aug 1775 and John Cook Scott was a Waterman

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ib1/

Added: Does it say Eleanor was a widow?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.