Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121436 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #126 on: Thursday 25 August 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
That could mean they had on children but maybe sideways related to John Hood (Uncle George)

Its Mark's ancestry - I'll take your viewing of the Will, that nothing is in the Will that's important info as connecting ancestry.  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #127 on: Thursday 25 August 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
That could mean they had on children but maybe sideways related to John Hood (Uncle George)

Its Mark's ancestry - I'll take your viewing of the Will, that nothing is in the Will that's important info as connecting ancestry.  :)

There appear to have been several children born to the marriage, but none are named in the will.   The date, however, ties in with Eleanor Hood, widow, marrying John Scott, Waterman, who was the Bondsman on the marriage bond & allegation for John Hood, Mariner & Elizabeth Gibson.   Therefore there seems a strong possibility - although no proof - that George Hood & Eleanor Wetherstone were the parents of John Hood, Mariner & possibly later a waterman.

If this is correct then Jane Hood 1783 d/o John Hood, Waterman could be a sister of George Hood b 1786 s/o John Hood, Mariner.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Thursday 25 August 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
I'll make this my last post, but Tyne & Wear Archives appear to have some Guild records that may be of interest:

Tanners: copy ordinaries mid-late 16th century-1654; minutes 1841-1968; admissions 1680-date; apprentices 1714-1844; accounts 1664-1743; apprenticeship indentures 1708-1821 (indexed); membership roll 1836-1851 Ref:GU.TA (part MF), 298

Trinity House - The Fraternity of Master Mariners and Seamen: charters c1664-c1770; minutes 1724-1762; orders 1604-1735; letter books 1644-1876; correspondence 1739-1943; ledgers 1736-1884; receipts and payments 1622-1965; admissions c1606-1929; apprentices 1648-1907; deeds 1524-1934; charity papers c1737-1934; various accounts 1622-1843. See also User Guide 6 Ref:GU.TH (part MF)

Details under User Guide 7
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Thursday 25 August 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
I would think job names mariner/waterman would overlap with packboats which were river/sea going vessels as far as vicars interpretations are concerned.

You've done well today Jomot !  ;) -time for a cuppa. Its up to Mark now to make sense of it all. I've lost track but there is something forming.
----------------------------------
Hood mariners or watermen

( Possible) George Hood son of George
baptized :1733
SCARBOROUGH, BTS, YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND
residence:
Scarborough, Yorkshire, England

15 Oct 1756, All Saints marriage
George Hood & Eleanor Wetherstone

Will/probate
George Hood, Seaman dated 22nd April 1771, proved 1774 which names his widow as Eleanor of Newcastle upon Tyne.

John Scott & Eleanor Hood  marriage 27 Aug 1775, All Saints, Newcastle

John Scott bondsman to John Hood b 1756 X Elizabeth Gibson married Newcastle 1779

~~~~~~~~----

John Hood son George
baptized 1738
SCARBOROUGH, BTS, YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND
residence:
Scarborough, Yorkshire, England

George son of John Hood Gateshead baptized 1786

First showings in Selby by date John Hood/Mr Hood on various Land Tax years 1700's

Richard Gibson ( by childen baptisms -Father Thomas Gibson of Halls Gate Newcastle)
Birth Date 1766
Age 26
Spouse's Name Elianor Wainwright
Spouse's Birth Date 1761
Spouse's Age 31
Event Date 30 Oct 1792
Event Place Selby,York,England

Maudline Hood X Charles Turner marriage 1794 Selby Father John Hood mariner b 1737 X mother Elizabeth ((Leppington (Widow) nee Spencer) Hood married 1763 Scarborough

1803 Jane Hood burial age 65 wife of John Hood mariner Selby

1807 to 1810 newspapers  Richard Gibson a Cooper Wren Lane Selby bankrupt

1812 George Hood appears in Selby a Cooper Wren lane Selby

1815 George Hood age 28 (born 1787) a Cooper married Sarah Russel.

1819 John Hood burial aged 82 (born 1737) Selby no occupation given

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Friday 26 August 16 07:00 BST (UK) »
There is a PCC will for George Hood, Seaman dated  22nd April 1771, proved 1774 which names his widow as Eleanor of Newcastle upon Tyne.

A PCC Will.

This strongly suggests he was a property owner in both the Provinces of York and Canterbury
OR he died outside of England and Wales.

Being a Mariner, he could of died outside the England & Wales jurisdiction, but if death did occur in E or W it suggests he may have owned property in the two Provincial regions.

A few people would qualify on both counts, for a PCC Will.

This George Hood with the Will, may turn out to be a possible sideways brother, to my direct descent line though?

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 26 August 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
The Will of George Hood mariner 1771/1774 proved- There could be additional probate papers with the Will bungle or probate admin papers in relation to where he died (Region of the world), though being a mariner ? A York, Durham or Canterbury Will makes little difference.

As a sailor visiting many ports, if he was a captain of a ship could have owned property anywhere (more coastal or abroad) on that base alone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Hood born 1756 bond marriage age 23 in 1779 Newcastle - Who and Where  ???

Free Weekend on Ancestry

In search -'search all records'-Put John Hood birth 1756 .-leave rest blank -then click the search tab

Interesting stuff coming up.

Members photo's and stuff

Captain John Hood 1756 to 1819 Scotland ?
--------------------------------------------------------------
John Hood death 1842 --Bergh Apton Norfolk ? b 1756 by age at death ? 

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Friday 26 August 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
I have sent Mark a copy of the Will, which states the name of the ship he was on when it was written (HMS Orford).   The ship sailed to the East Indies.  The witness was John Strachan, who I take to be Sir John Strachan, who commanded the Orford from 1770.

I have also sent Mark information about the Newcastle Trinity House records which state that in 1770 they offered a reward to seamen who volunteer into the royal navy.  This may well be how & why George ended up on the Orford.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Friday 26 August 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
George Hood Bapt 1733 Scarborough son of George

No infant/Teenage boy burial or marriage found Yorkshire

Though he could have stayed a bachelor as a mariner but unlikely those days.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Friday 26 August 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
I have sent Mark a copy of the Will, which states the name of the ship he was on when it was written (HMS Orford).   The ship sailed to the East Indies.  The witness was John Strachan, who I take to be Sir John Strachan, who commanded the Orford from 1770.

I have also sent Mark information about the Newcastle Trinity House records which state that in 1770 they offered a reward to seamen who volunteer into the royal navy.  This may well be how & why George ended up on the Orford.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9772435

There should be records on him being RN