Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121423 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #180 on: Saturday 03 September 16 10:23 BST (UK) »
Had a flick through the Gosforth transcriptions at Newcastle Library this morning. No further Gibson records around the right time. There were a few baptisms and burials from other families resident at Halls Gate. John Anderson burial 1765. Robson and Reay baptisms 1784 and 1785.

The Elizabeth Gibson baptism at Newcastle All Saints, 5 Aug 1759, father Thomas Gibson - Brewer.
Probably the Malt Maker from the 1769 Thomas Gibson baptism.

Alan.

Hello All

Thank you for the replies and thank you Alan for looking at the Gosforth transcriptions in the Library.

Looking at the Selby Parish Register of 1793 and 1800, both Newcastle (1793) and Hall's Gates (1800) are mentioned.

Interested to note in the Richard Gibson, Cooper Descent, that Elizabeth Brown came from Bedlington and I noticed Gibsons at Bedlington in the online newspapers.

Gibson Brewery at Gateshead
1787 Newcastle Directory under Gateshead
Gibson & Bedlington's brewery, Pipewellgate, m.

TNA Bankruptcy Registers and Muster Rolls
I want to go and see these Bankruptcy Registers / Indexes relating to the periods (1807 - 1810) of the Richard Gibson Bankruptcy, also the Muster Rolls in BT 98 for John Hood, first, I hope the Bankruptcy items may just mention George Hood, Nephew of Richard Gibson taking over.

George Hood Burial?
Regarding George Hood of Selby, who died Selby 18th September 1845 (burial place unknown) I've had a disappointing email reply (or no reply really) about the Westgate Hill General Cemetery, Registers that basically says, I am welcome to go and look at the Registers for myself.

TNA, Kew, National Register of Archives 37680, give references as:-
Tyne and Wear Archives
Burial Registers CE.WGH/1 and Dx446 Register of Share Transfers.

Alphabetical Index CE.WGH/1/1 Index 1829 to 1846.
Burial Registers CE.WGH/2/1 [covering 1845]
Purchased Vaults CE.WGH/3 1829 to 1923.

Years ago, when making a polite enquiry by letter a quick look was very helpful, we have the info and a copy will cost you £5 - £10 (or whatever) posted. However, now email is here they have too many requests.

If anyone visits Tyne and Wear Archives please and can look, to see if George Hood is buried at Westgate Hill General Cemetery, please take a note of the reference/page number please? I can order direct.

TNA, Kew
We can get to London Euston in only an hour, although two changes to get back out to TNA, Kew adds another 1 & 1/2 hours, but the Muster Rolls are there as well and John Hood the Mariner, ought to be listed, so we'll head there.

Thank you.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #181 on: Saturday 03 September 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
I've got a very near signature match for John Hood the mariner that brings us back to Scarborough, but problem is the earlier 1778 no age given says widower and 1779 b 1756 marriage says bachelor   ??? back to square one.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Saturday 03 September 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
I've got a very near signature match for John Hood the mariner that brings us back to Scarborough, but problem is the earlier 1778 no age given says widower and 1779 b 1756 marriage says bachelor   ??? back to square one.

Please can you elaborate?

We already had three John Hood, Mariner signatures all linked to Scarborough ...

One an August 1778 London Marriage Bond John Hood, widower to Sarah Hammond, widow - place on Allegation St Giles.

The other two John Hood of Scarborough, Mariner signatures featured here ...

On page 2, Reply 15 & 16
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.15

Now, also this John Hood, Mariner to Elizabeth Gibson at Newcastle.

Wondering which, matches what?

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Saturday 03 September 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
August 1778 London Marriage Bond John Hood, widower to Sarah Hammond, widow - place on Allegation St Giles.

Compare above signature with John Hood bachelor (?) X Elizabeth Gison 1779 bond allegation signature of John Hood b 1756

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6X8W-YKF?i=945&wc=M6KL-6MS%3A129234201%2C129234202%3Fcc%3D1675690&cc=1675690

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6X8W-B8P?i=946&wc=M6KL-6MS%3A129234201%2C129234202%3Fcc%3D1675690&cc=1675690

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Saturday 03 September 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
IMHO two different signatures, even though the final "d" is very similar

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Saturday 03 September 16 15:18 BST (UK) »
And neither match the ones referred to by Mark earlier.

On page 2, Reply 15 & 16
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.15
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Saturday 03 September 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
TNA, Kew
We can get to London Euston in only an hour, although two changes to get back out to TNA, Kew adds another 1 & 1/2 hours, but the Muster Rolls are there as well and John Hood the Mariner, ought to be listed, so we'll head there.

Thank you.

Kind regards, Mark

unquote

Hi Mark,'

Keeps you out of the London busy city stations

Isn't

- Train (or car) to Watford - change Watford Junction on London overground (Tube System map) - Change Willesden Junction to Kew/Richmond

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

See orange box in links below and timetables

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/watford-junction-to-euston-timetable-june-2016.pdf

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/richmond-and-clapham-junction-to-stratford-timetable-june-2016.pdf

easier
Alternative

Backdoor to Kew

Get an overnight advanced booking cheap national coach deal/or train- to Heathrow airport and tube or bus to Kew

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/London-Heathrow-Airport-LHR/Kew-Bridge-Station

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Saturday 03 September 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I feel we possibly have four John Hoods who are Mariners.

Three of the John Hood, Mariners linked to Scarborough plus ...

John Hood of Newcastle, Mariner marrying Elizabeth Gibson.
I still believe the Richard Gibson of Selby, Cooper being Uncle to George Hood, is the best advancement so far and I want to look at this in detail and intend to get to Kew soon.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Saturday 03 September 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
That 'H' and tail back 'd'

Near but not near enough.