Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121427 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #244 on: Saturday 08 October 16 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Still trying to work out what you're saying in your post (199).

A Siobhán Ryle has in her interests, Ryle, Hood and Spencer. So left a message on her thread at ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=195976.msg6055402#msg6055402

There was a Newcastle Agents business called Hood & Ryle of Newcastle in 1811, associated with shipping goods between Hull and Newcastle, but last evening found the Will of ...

Robert Hood of Gateshead (mentioning Ryle)
"Robert HOOD, gentleman, of Windmill hills in the parish of Gateshead in the county of Durham [Gateshead, County Durham]"
Date of probate: 1 October 1812

"Will and codicil used in the court case on 20 May 1816: Jane Stodhart (wife of the Reverend Robert Stodhart), Samuel Hood, Peter Hood and Benjamin Hood v John Ryle, John Linsay Angus and Jabez Hood"

Three images here, but no George or John Hood mentioned
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11848-147714-50

From "Hood" surname search here ...
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

Thought it might be worth mentioning the Hood - Gateshead connection, although we are looking for George and John Hood a Mariner of Gateshead / Newcastle.

But my George Hood had got a busisess acumen from somewhere.

Regards Mark

Your George Hood is a pain in the butt ! - full stop >:( .

note codicil B in Robert Hood will - sister Mary Boyd nee Hood

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XCW3-7TG?i=584&wc=SDFL-2NL%3A1310038571%3Fcc%3D2365059&cc=2365059

Surname Boyd in Ann Hood Will above link

;)

John Hood

Birth Date:
20 Dec 1755

Baptism Date
22 Dec 1755

Baptism Place West Kilbride, Ayr, Scotland

Father:
 John Hood   

Mother:
 Margaret Boyd
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #245 on: Saturday 08 October 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Still trying to work out what you're saying in your post (199).

A Siobhán Ryle has in her interests, Ryle, Hood and Spencer. So left a message on her thread at ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=195976.msg6055402#msg6055402

There was a Newcastle Agents business called Hood & Ryle of Newcastle in 1811, associated with shipping goods between Hull and Newcastle, but last evening found the Will of ...

Robert Hood of Gateshead (mentioning Ryle)
"Robert HOOD, gentleman, of Windmill hills in the parish of Gateshead in the county of Durham [Gateshead, County Durham]"
Date of probate: 1 October 1812

"Will and codicil used in the court case on 20 May 1816: Jane Stodhart (wife of the Reverend Robert Stodhart), Samuel Hood, Peter Hood and Benjamin Hood v John Ryle, John Linsay Angus and Jabez Hood"

Three images here, but no George or John Hood mentioned
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11848-147714-50

From "Hood" surname search here ...
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

Thought it might be worth mentioning the Hood - Gateshead connection, although we are looking for George and John Hood a Mariner of Gateshead / Newcastle.

But my George Hood had got a busisess acumen from somewhere.

Regards Mark

Your George Hood is a pain in the butt ! - full stop >:( .

note codicil B in Robert Hood will - sister Mary Boyd nee Hood

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XCW3-7TG?i=584&wc=SDFL-2NL%3A1310038571%3Fcc%3D2365059&cc=2365059

Surname Boyd in Ann Hood Will above link

;)

John Hood

Birth Date:
20 Dec 1755

Baptism Date
22 Dec 1755

Baptism Place West Kilbride, Ayr, Scotland

Father:
 John Hood   

Mother:
 Margaret Boyd

Hello

Thanks dobfarm.

I've been looking at the Census for any Hood, born Selby and managed to string this together using Ancestry and Free BMD ...

Henry Hood born Craike 1849 [GRO District Easingwold]. Occupation in later Census Brewery Labourer, later Brewery Drayman.
MARRIED
Elizabeth GIBSON BORN SELBY 1853 (becoming Elizabeth Hood born Selby)
(according to a transcription on Ancestry)
At YORK St Olave 22 February 1873
Father Francis Hood

Father: Francis Hood, aged 41 in 1851 Census born Forest Lane Head Yorkshire and Knaresboro' Yorkshire (at Craike Durham in 1841 Census).
Mother: Elizabeth Hood, aged 40 in 1851. Born Baxby, Yorkshire and also transcribed as Bagby

Crayke / Craike, seems to be in County of Durham, then North Yorkshire in 1844.

Census transcription misspellings:-
for Craike/Crayke, is Gayke
for Forest Lane Head, also misspelt Forest Lam Head

Also in one Census the Enumerator has spelt Henry Hood as Henry Hudd.

A place called Coxwold was a possible place for my missing William Hood in the 1841 Selby Census, (Wm Hood bapt. Selby 1816)

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Saturday 08 October 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
Henry Hood born Craike 1849 [GRO District Easingwold]. Occupation in later Census Brewery Labourer, later Brewery Drayman.
MARRIED
Father Francis Hood

From marriage certificate

Henry Hood             24 batchelor  Groom   Sowerby   Francie Hood        Labourer
Elizabeth Gibson      21 spinster      --        Bootham  John Gibson (dec)  carpenter

Witnesses  David Gibson  Louisa Walker

Crayke is a small village near Easingwold in North Yorkshire.  Was in Durham until 1844
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Saturday 08 October 16 11:25 BST (UK) »

Hello

Thanks dobfarm.

I've been looking at the Census for any Hood, born Selby and managed to string this together using Ancestry and Free BMD ...

MARRIED
Father Francis Hood

Father: Francis Hood, aged 41 in 1851 Census born Forest Lane Head Yorkshire and Knaresboro' Yorkshire (at Craike Durham in 1841 Census).
Mother: Elizabeth Hood, aged 40 in 1851. Born Baxby, Yorkshire and also transcribed as Bagby

Crayke / Craike, seems to be in County of Durham, then North Yorkshire in 1844.

Census transcription misspellings:-
for Craike/Crayke, is Gayke
for Forest Lane Head, also misspelt Forest Lam Head

Also in one Census the Enumerator has spelt Henry Hood as Henry Hudd.

A place called Coxwold was a possible place for my missing William Hood in the 1841 Selby Census, (Wm Hood bapt. Selby 1816)

Regards Mark

Hello

Thanks Goughy

Not really sure if the Henry Hood b. Craike and Elizabeth Gibson b. Selby, is going very far at the moment.

1861 Crayke Census Francis Hudd (alias Francis Hood) Head and family, including Henry Hudd, son and Scholar, aged 12 born Craike, are living next door to a Thomas Gibson born Craike and Jane Gibson born Stillington and family.

So this might be how Henry Hood born Craike, has come into contact with Elizabeth Gibson born Selby.

However, in 1861 Elizabeth Gibson, aged 8, born Selby, is in the Census at Clifton, City York and her mother is Ann Gibson, Head, W, aged 32, Railway Gate Keeper, born Burn Yorkshire. So a separate Gibson family here, to the one in Crayke.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Saturday 08 October 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
MARRIED
Father Francis Hood

From marriage certificate

Henry Hood             24 batchelor  Groom   Sowerby   Francie Hood        Labourer
Elizabeth Gibson      21 spinster      --        Bootham  John Gibson (dec)  carpenter

Witnesses  David Gibson  Louisa Walker

Crayke is a small village near Easingwold in North Yorkshire.  Was in Durham until 1844

Thanks Goughy

David Gibson, possibly her brother, born York (aged 5 yrs in 1861 Census).

Because Henry Hood of Craike has married Elizabeth Gibson, born Selby, I was left thinking, I wonder if any possible links from Hoods in North Yorkshire, to Hoods at Selby.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Saturday 08 October 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
I was checking Hood's living with Gibson's or Richardson's or Gilchrist's in censuses on in the Hull area on Familysearch the other night. A lone woman age 77  Hood b Baxby in the household of one of the surnames above but can't remember census year ) Hood in one of the household born Baxby or Bagby living in Hull area. ( (not mis-transcribed -both are parish names near Thirsk)

Put a Surname of above surnames in search box and put Hood in the other persons box (leave first name box blank)

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&region=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

Familysearch is best for primary search first, as more info comes up on one page with transcribed info boxes -birth place-address and occupation etc, than FindMyPast And Ancestry singular box  family first  transcribed census box first of box info (Just saves time)

Then refine findings on FindMyPast -Ancestry for original views.

Also check
Gibson's with Gilchrist
Richardson's with Gilchrist or Gibson's etc or any other combination

Have Ancestry website  (free-this weekend) up on another page ready

Also do full all records of an occupation search with surname only on Ancestry website and not just censuses

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Saturday 08 October 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
Bits and bobs

There is a Thomas Hood cooper b 1829 resident/born Middlesex in cenuses

Also a William Hood cooper b 1849 Resident Burton on trent - Born Derbyshire  Barrowash (South east of Derby on river Derwent)

George Hood on land tax Knottingley and Francis Hood (Died 1829 Pontefract parish)

Francis Hood

31 Jul 1768

Baptism 

Parish
Knottingley, St Botolph

Father's name
John Hood
------------------------------------------------
John Hood

29 Jul 1764

Baptism 

Parish:
Knottingley, St Botolph

Father's name:
John Hood

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Saturday 08 October 16 13:45 BST (UK) »
John Hood

Dates
1776-1800

Gateshead

publican food/drink

ship, South shore, Gateshead

Source

Listed in An Account of Newcastle-on-Tyne, 1787, WHITEHEAD, William. Newcastle; Printed by T. Angus for the Author & Sold by him on the Middle of High Bridge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Hood

dates 1801-1825 ( 1825 could be John Hood's death year)

Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland

publican food/drinks

Rose and Crown, New Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland

Listed in A General Directory for Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead & Places Adjacent, 1824 ?. Newcastle, [Durham]; Printed for the Publisher ... 1824. [Printer, Francis Humble, Durham ]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Husband a mariner at marriage could be influenced to stay on land by a new wife (a very good reason to change occupations ie; wife's worry and marriage to have  husband at home to have/raise a family (or night time activities    ;D ;D)

Could be the John Hood buried in Ballast Hills Graveyard

http://www.tynesidesilentcities.com/page_ballasthills_burialground.htm

Must go as someone keeps waving a duster at me and pointing at the vac .  :-[  >:(