Author Topic: Information sought about Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick born c1829  (Read 4093 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information sought about Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick born c1829
« on: Sunday 21 August 16 14:08 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find out what became of my Great x 2 Grandmother who was called Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick.  She was born around 1829 and was last on the census in 1881 in Chester-le-Street, Durham when she was living with her eldest daughter and the latter's family.  Her eldest daughter was Mary Watson nee Conroy.  Elizabeth had been married to my Great x 2 Grandfather called James Conroy but by 1881 she was widowed.  By 1891 the family had moved on to the []Northumberland area but from 1881 onwards there is a mystery surrounding what may have become of Elizabeth.  Does anyone have any information about a possible remarriage or death/burial?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Information sought about Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick born c1829
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 16 14:24 BST (UK) »
1881 gives place of birth as Scotland, have you checked to see whether she returned there
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 16 15:30 BST (UK) »
I haven't tried Scotland but I think you could be right and this may be worth a try when I get time.  I have always thought she would have wanted to stay in the area of her eldest daughter (Northumberland/Durham).  Elizabeth also had several sons - one was my great Grandfather.  I know one of her daughter Mary's sons (Isaac Watson) moved to Lanarkshire and some of the family members of that time moved back and forth there (Lanarkshire/Hamilton) for some reason - perhaps to visit him.  So perhaps I should follow your advice and put a post there, in Scotland. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi a reply not regarding Elizabeth, but I have replied on your other thread re James,  and from their residence in 1871 I would suggest his death was September qtr 1876 Lanchester 10a 152 aged 47
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 16 06:59 BST (UK) »
1891 census
Buffalo Terrace
Birtley,Chester Le Street

Elizabeth Conroy widow,occupation tramp,aged 64 years born Ireland
have you eliminated this lady
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 August 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses.  With regard to James' death, I appreciate you posting this information, it was kind of you.  However, thankfully I was able to find this information a while back when I visited the archives (County Record office in Durham); James died on 24 August 1876 and was buried at Our Blessed Lady and St Joseph, Brooms on 27 August 1876.  His RC entry records him as 'ex Dipton'.

With regards, to response to Elizabeth on the 1891 census; again thank you I do appreciate this.  I have also considered if this might be her.  However, the age given and the recording of her as being born in Ireland makes me think this may possibly not be her :-\  However, one of her sons was living in Birtley with his family at that time, so you never know she may be this person living near by.  I have checked the St Joseph RC burials but can't find Elizabeth there.  I looked at this Church because her son Simon Peter's family often pop up in the records there.  What a puzzle this is!!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 23 16:42 GMT (UK) »
This might be of interest to anyone out there who may be researching the same ancestor so this is why I am sharing.

Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick is my brickwall 2 x Great Grandmother.
I last had a sighting of her in 1881 when she was  in the Durham area with daughter Mary and son in law William Watson.  This could possibly be her found on here in 1891 in Birtley.

My update is that I was at the archives last week trying to help someone else solving their brick wall when to my amazement I believe I have spotted her staying at the Tynemouth Workhouse for one week. :D

This is the info found:

Elizabeth Conroy admission Tuesday 10 July 1900 at 2.20 pm
Widow of James
RC religion
Age 76
Wearing hospital clothes
From Chirton Parish
Nearest relative: Thomas Conroy of New York Village
Discharged 17th July 1900

All this is correct apart from her age, which I believe is a few years out.  I suspect she may have been born 1826 but when she was with husband James her age was usually recorded as one year older which would give birthdate around 1829.  So age seems it might have been flexible

I still do not know how life ended for her.  I somehow doubt she would have married again at this age.  I can't see a death on Scotland's People and looking at Freebmd the Chester death looks like a possibility.
There is a burial on Find A Grave at Overleigh Cemetery.  The person who has the memorial says this Elizabeth died in the workhouse and that this one might be the one in 1901recorded as having been born at Knutsford.  If that is my Elizabeth then I think this was an error.  (Most census entries record as having been born in Edinburgh, Scotland.)

Although why she might have gone to another area I have no clue.  Three of her adult children were living in the North Shields/Tynemouth district area in the early 1900s including youngest son Thomas who did live in New York Village with wife Isabella Conroy nee Miller and family.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 23 17:11 GMT (UK) »
1901 living alone at 26 Cupping St, not finding her easily before 1901 born Cheshire

Elizth Conry
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1823
Relation to Head:   Wildow
Birth Place:   Knutsford, Cheshire, England
Civil parish:   Chester

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 23 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this Cas.  Is there any occupation recorded do you know?  Not that I would expect her to have an occupation at that age.
My Elizabeth had been married to my Grt x 2 Grandfather James who seems to have been an Irish traveller.  He was a hawker who made and sold baskets and besom.  So if any occupation it might have been something along the lines of hawker.

I think this person could be a possibility for my Elizabeth but I am currently stumped as to why she would have left the North East where three of her adult children were (Mary Watson, my Grt Grandfather Simon Peter Conroy and Thomas Conroy).  However, I see there are quite a few Conroys buried at Overleigh so there might have been a link somehow to a relative of husband James that I am currently unaware about. ???
Person on Find A Grave said she died in the Workhouse.  I wonder if the Workhouse records still exist for this area.  If so, I would be interested to know if a husband was named on the admission.