Author Topic: Information sought about Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick born c1829  (Read 4102 times)

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information sought about Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick born c1829
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 23 19:27 GMT (UK) »
No occupation given in 1901, unable to locate her prior to this census born Cheshire. No workhouse records for Cheshire on Ancestry.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/200793654/elizabeth-conroy

Cannot locate anyone else in same plot number given in link for that cemetery.

If she died in the workhouse, possibly it would be a paupers grave? Does Cheshire have a family history library they can hold internment records for local cems.

Just a thought

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 January 23 19:50 GMT (UK) »
https://www.cheshirearchives.org.uk/what-we-hold/databases-search.aspx

Thank you so much Cas for your help.
I have looked on this website and if this is my Elizabeth it seems a bit strange that she was buried in consecrated ground when she was Roman Catholic. 
However, I have been looking at Freebmd and FamilySearch and I can't see anyone else as a probable match in death. 
Yes, message from memorial owner is that 3 others are buried in plot and it seems to be paupers grave - which is what I would expect.  i don't know more but presumably these will be unrelated.  No one in her family had purchased graves.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 January 23 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Cheshire BMD
Elizabeth Conroy aged 78, death 1901, sub district Chester Cathedral,  registers at Cheshire West
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 23 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Shields Daily Gazette
August 18 th 1902
Alleged wounding at North Shield,
John Eliot labourer North Shields was charged at North Shields , this morning with unlawfully wounding Mary Watson at North Shields on August 9 th
Chief constable Huish said he would only offer sufficient evidence to justify a remand,
Elizabeth Conroy stated on the night in question Mary Watson was at her house, the defendant went to her door and knocked, she refused to open the door and the defendant broke it open. Mrs Watson spoke to him about it, and the defendant struck her on the face with his fist, Mrs Watson struck him back and the witness ran out. When she returned she found Mrs Watson sitting on a stool with her face bleeding . Mrs Elliott defendants wife was bathing her face. By mr Duncan who defended ,she saw Mrs Watson strike defendant on the head with a coal rake . Dr Brummell police surgeon deposed to seeing the complainant who had several bruises on the arms and face one of her ribs was broken and her condition critical, the end of the rib had pierced the lung and if inflammation set in the woman would probably die,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 23 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Radcliffe.  I think I recall from articles that this Elizabeth was the wife of my Grt Grandfather Simon Peter.  I have never been able to find a marriage for these two, though.  Although he did marry another Elizabeth at St Charles RC Church in Gosforth in 1909.
Mary ended up in the Workhouse hospital.  She was taken there by her daughter Elizabeth Miller who had married Michael Miller who was the brother of Thomas Conroy's wife Isabella.  Thankfully, Mary did survive.
I get the impression from other articles that the assailant may have been after my Grt Grandfather although the former later claimed they were friends. ::)
I think Mary may have been trying to protect her younger brother (my Simon) who was lying in bed (perhaps he was ill?)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 January 23 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks River Tyne Lass,
I did see the next article in 1903 when Simon Conroy and Michael Miller were scrapping in Graham's yard

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 January 23 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I just had a look at the burial in Sunderland of Elizabeth Conroy free BMD gives her death June 1908 aged 94,
she died in the workhouse ,but husband was Charles, and her age is recorded as 94 years unconsecrated ground ,buried April 18th by the reverend father O'Donaghue,ward  10, section  a , grave 5424, removed from Bishopwearmouth , widowed I should add

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 January 23 13:58 GMT (UK) »
1901 census Durham,Sunderland,NorthBishopwearmouth,District Sunderland workhouse
Elizabeth Conroy aged 81 second hand clothes dealer , widowed born Ireland

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 January 23 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for taking the time to help Radcliffe.
I don't think this Elizabeth will be mine since her husband is Charles and age is way off.

Yes, Graham's yard! Ive seen that one! :o  What were they like in Shields back in the day!  Who needs soaps drama when you have family history! ;)

I appreciate your having taken the time to check things out Radcliffe. :)