Author Topic: United Towing 1920-1990 Alan Ford  (Read 1352 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
United Towing 1920-1990 Alan Ford
« on: Monday 22 August 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone have a copy of the above publication and willing to look up to see if James Ryan who served on the tug Seaman is mentioned.He was awarded the George Medal for gallantry in 1941 for shooting down a condor bomber. I have some information but was made aware there was a newspaper clipping in Hull newspapers but have been unable to find it.

Thank you.
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: United Towing 1920-1990 Alan Ford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 23:11 BST (UK) »
I had a good look around using different search times in the Hull Daily Mail newspapers but came up empty.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you.It was in London Gazette Feb 1941 announcing award.There is a fair bit of info online.The medal was last seen on display at Eden Camp in the 90s with the press cutting but efforts to trace via that line have been fruitless.Hull Maritime museum sent me a link to the Hull History Centre archives but again can't find anything. There was even a poster made for propaganda reasons due to the tug shooting down the bomber.

Edit.  His obituary is in Hull Daily Mail  5th Jan 1948 I can't access FindMyPast but just seen it on search.
Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 16 23:29 BST (UK) »
I now have info I was looking for from different source so marking complete.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)