Author Topic: Black and McFadyen  (Read 806 times)

Offline NicPhaidein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Black and McFadyen
« on: Tuesday 23 August 16 03:08 BST (UK) »
This is a long shot, but does anyone know of two sisters, Lily and Jenny Black, who were probably born between 1880-1900. I think their father married a McFadyen girl. Lily and Jenny used to come through to St Andrews from Glasgow to visit my Granny; I think they were cousins to Granny's husband, long deceased. I recall the ladies telling my sister that she looked like great aunt Annie. That would have been Ann McFadyen ne้ Dow, my great great grandmother. I know I'm grasping at straws but hope springs eternal.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Black and McFadyen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ? It's pay-per-view but modestly priced, and you can view certificates of births before 1914, marriages before 1939 and deaths before 1964, and the index entries for certificates later than these dates. You can also view the census from 1841 to 1911.

There are 19 marriages of male Blacks to female M*cfad*ns in the index.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.