Author Topic: gedcom files  (Read 2358 times)

Offline cynthia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
gedcom files
« on: Sunday 25 July 04 22:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to download a gedcom file, but a window pops up stating the file can not be opened because windows can not determine where the program came from. I have tried to locate it on the internet, but with no luck. How do I download a gedcom, successfully? And what program or file type is a gedcom?

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: gedcom files
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 04 22:23 BST (UK) »
Depending on your version of Windows there should be an option to select a program type. If you take that than and select Notepad, the Gedgom files sould then open as a .txt file.

You can download the Gedcom software free from the Gedcom site and a few others.

Adrian
Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cynthia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 04 22:28 BST (UK) »
I have Windows xp. Will I be able to then add the information to the family tree program I have on my computer?

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 04 04:42 BST (UK) »
Depending on the family history software you are running you should be able to directly import into your database using one of the import options in the family history software itself. Look for an option that imports a gedcom. What software are you running in case it is the same as mine and I can give more help?
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov