Author Topic: The Baldwin's From Cork  (Read 9461 times)

Offline shoppingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Baldwin's From Cork
« on: Saturday 23 July 05 10:26 BST (UK) »
Anyone doing research on the Baldwin family from Cork I would like to hear from you. Despite there being a detailed family tree in Burkes Landed Gentry there are still many gaps and I as yet I can’t find my Henry Baldwin who was born aprox 1810-20 in Cork and who was a Captain in the Army. So the more of you out there that have any bits of information about the Baldwin’s can you let me know and maybe we can all expand our family trees further.
I have attached the Baldwin tree that i have so far. If you have anymore details that are not included please let me know and I will update the tree.
Anna
The Baldwin family from Cork. (Listed in Burkes)
Cork :- Gould between 1871-1876.
From Ilfracombe and Barnstaple:Gould, Pile and Salmon
From Bristol: Gould, Fletcher, Stones, Sparrow
From Liverpool: Searle, Birch
From Staverton: Searle and Harvey

Offline regiments

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Baldwin's From Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 13:49 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking in the Army Lists and better still since it gives more detail, Hart's Army List?  Your man ought to be listed.

Offline shoppingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 16:00 BST (UK) »
i went to kew Achieves a year ago and looked in the officers card index and only found 3 Baldwins, one was Godfrey which was not my G Grandmothers father. I have someone looking for details at the moment. He is searching in WO 25 and WO 76, he is also going to search for letters in WO 31 and marriage's and deaths in WO 42. Will this not do the same Job as the Hart's Army list.

Offline regiments

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 05 06:38 BST (UK) »
I should think that the correct order would be to search the Army Lists first and in the unlikely event that your man doesn't turn up there, then would be the time to consider other sources.

Here is the link to the information page on the Lists at the PRO
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=267

It is also worth looking at
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=144

Starting with the record classes you mention seems to me to make no sense at all if the Lists have not been exhausted.  Rather like hiring a private detective to find a phone number before checking the white pages.

BTW would this Henry Baldwin have been the son of Herbert Baldwin and Barbara Dunne?

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 August 05 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

You don't happen to know of any Corless Baldwin's from Cork do you?

My Baldwin line (now in Sussex) has been traced to early 1800s in East London.  I have a marriage certificate for William Henry Baldwin 1852 and his father is named as Corless Baldwin.  I have not been able to find any records of him so far but it was suggested to me that Corless is an Irish name?  There is one record on Ancestry.co.uk of a Corless marrying a Hester Young in County Cork but thus far I have not been able to make a connection. 

I live in hope!!!!

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline shoppingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 05 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your recommendations. I will follow these up.

My problem is I don’t know whose parents Henry Baldwin’s where.

My great Grandmother was born Dorothy Baldwin born aprox 1844/5 in cork. Before you ask, no there is no reference to her birth or baptism anywhere due the lack of Irish records. I do know she was born in Cork and that her fathers name was Henry. On her marriage certificate it says he was a Captain in the Army.

I was interested to see your reference to Hebert Baldwin and Barbara Dunn. The first thing I did was to do a lot of research into the Baldwin family who lived in Cork and I studied Burkes Landed Gentry of Ireland. As far as Burkes references Herbert and Barbara they only had one daughter called Mary Ann.

Do you know if Herbert and Barbara had a son called Henry as this would fit into the dates of the Henry I am looking for? The problem with Burkes references they were often incomplete.

Thanks

Offline regiments

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 06:37 BST (UK) »
The following is from a file sent by a friend to whom I think I am distantly related through marriage with the O'Callaghans: (among other similarities I have a first cousin named Barbara O'Callaghan, not a usual Irish name).

Daniel O'Callaghan was born Abt. 1810 in Co. Cork, Ireland, and died Abt 1890 in Co. Cork, Ireland.  He married Barbara Herberta Baldwin December 02, 1837 in Kilmurry, Co. Cork, Ireland, daughter of Herbert Baldwin and Barbara Dunne.  She was born Nov 07, 1812 in Macroom, Co. Cork, Ireland, and died Abt. 1880 in Cork City.

There may be good reason for Barbara not to appear in Burke's since the Callaghans and Baldwins were bitter political enemies and the marriage is said not to have been approved of by the Baldwins.

There is also in a work 'Protestant Society and Politics in Cork 1812-1844', d'Alton, Cork, 1980,  a table 'Some intermarriage patterns..' showing a Mary Baldwin, daughter of Henry Baldwin marrying Richard Tonson Rye in 1845.

I will ask my friend what her sources are and whether she gathered any other information on the Baldwin family.

Offline shoppingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 11:29 BST (UK) »
I have now cataloged all the the Baldwin Family Tree which is in the Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland on to a GED file. I have now attached this file to the main THE BALDWINS FROM CORK board. I have added the details of what you know to the tree. Please do ask your friend about more information as my idea is to try and build on this tree. We will hopefully be able to grow the tree to every benefit who are researching the Baldwins of Cork.
Mary Baldwin who married Richard Tonson Rye in 1845 is actually the daughter of another Henry Baldwin. See family tree ( all the same family though)
Do keep me posted.
Thanks

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
I agree that Barbara O'Callaghan is not a usual Irish name. I have been helping  cousins with their Duggan connections from Cork. I saw a reference once of a Denis Duggan marrying a Barbara O'Callaghan in Cork around 1900. I am trying to find out if this is their Denis. He was a soldier stationed in Cork and later moved to County Down where he died in 1941. Do you have anything on this Barbara?

Thanks for any help,

Pat

The following is from a file sent by a friend to whom I think I am distantly related through marriage with the O'Callaghans: (among other similarities I have a first cousin named Barbara O'Callaghan, not a usual Irish name).

Daniel O'Callaghan was born Abt. 1810 in Co. Cork, Ireland, and died Abt 1890 in Co. Cork, Ireland.  He married Barbara Herberta Baldwin December 02, 1837 in Kilmurry, Co. Cork, Ireland, daughter of Herbert Baldwin and Barbara Dunne.  She was born Nov 07, 1812 in Macroom, Co. Cork, Ireland, and died Abt. 1880 in Cork City.

There may be good reason for Barbara not to appear in Burke's since the Callaghans and Baldwins were bitter political enemies and the marriage is said not to have been approved of by the Baldwins.

There is also in a work 'Protestant Society and Politics in Cork 1812-1844', d'Alton, Cork, 1980, a table 'Some intermarriage patterns..' showing a Mary Baldwin, daughter of Henry Baldwin marrying Richard Tonson Rye in 1845.

I will ask my friend what her sources are and whether she gathered any other information on the Baldwin family.

Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland