Author Topic: Williams  (Read 3861 times)

Offline tassiedevil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Welsh & Proud
    • View Profile
Williams
« on: Sunday 25 July 04 22:26 BST (UK) »
I have been here in Wales for the past 2 months trying to find the birth records of my great grandfather John Williams..This is all I have found so far. When he left for Australia in 1855 he had been working for James SIMON at Greenfield, Holywell for 9 years. He is shown on the 1851 census for Greenfield as living at  @ Tie Coed and aged 26,with his  mother Ann aged 65
It states on this that he was born at Ceirchiog, Anglesey..while his widowed mother Ann was born at Penlan, Anglesey. Despite`all the searching I cannot find any record.
Am wondering if there is anyone on here that may have some knowledge of these Williams ???

Cheers
Tassie  :)
Williams, Anglesey and Holywell
Steven , Glasgow
Liddell, Paisley Abbey,Scotland
Lawson, Glasgow
Fitzsimons, Toronto & Glasgow

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Williams
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 04 09:12 BST (UK) »
Tassie,

"Tie Coed" is most probably suposed to be "Ty Coed" (with a little "^" above the "y") (This means Wood House) or possibly even "Tai Coed" (which means Wood Houses - and would have been pronounced like your "tai" Coed).

Another possibility is "John" might have been "Ioan" - since "John" is the english of "Ioan" the "I" and the "J" would have been the same in old handwriting.

Just an idea, anyway!
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline tassiedevil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Welsh & Proud
    • View Profile
Re: Williams
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 04 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trystan,, that makes sense to me now as he lived at " Woods Cottages"

I did come across a Joan,,but disreguarded it!!

Guess I will have to try and go through the census again before I go home.

Tassie
Williams, Anglesey and Holywell
Steven , Glasgow
Liddell, Paisley Abbey,Scotland
Lawson, Glasgow
Fitzsimons, Toronto & Glasgow