Author Topic: Cecil Howard Beaumont-Thom  (Read 510 times)

Offline Keith847

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cecil Howard Beaumont-Thom
« on: Sunday 28 August 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I have been researching my wife's S.A ancestors for a number of years. Her great uncle CECIL HOWARD BEAUMONT THOMAS has always been a bit of a puzzle for me as I could find little information regarding him.

I only knew that he was the son of John and Sophia MarianThomas,  that he was born in Nov 1888 at Longlands River diggings and that he had three male siblings (I have lots of info regarding these three).

However I recently found a couple of interesting documents.

The first is a death report of the death of SUSAN BEAUMONT-THOMAS (nee GOOZEN). It shows that she died of eclampsia on 23rd July 1924 during or shortly after childbirth. The certificate shows that she was 20 years old and her death was reported and signed by C. H. Beaumont-Thomas.

The second document is the baptism register for WILLIAM RICHMOND HOWARD BEAUMONT-THOMAS dated 10th Oct 1924 it shows his date of birth as 22nd July (the day before Susan died). The child died on 16th Oct 1924. I also found the death report which was signed by his father C H Beaumont-Thomas.

A few years ago on the now defunct Ancestry24 site I found reference to the will and estate of
Alan Emmanuel Howard Beaumont-Thomas. It was reference to his estate and will from the Cape Town Deceased Estates Index 2271/1968Will. It shows he died 20 March 1968. He Married ANNE MARGARET MICHAUX 11th Mar 1934. The marriage register shows that he was aged 20 so he would have been born in 1919.  The two witnesses were WJ and L Moyse (I have no idea who they were) I always assumed that he was a son of Cecil H B-T as there is no mention of him in the Wills of Cecil's three siblings.

I am seeking any further information or guidance regarding Cecil.
1.  Details of his marriage to Susan.
2.  Is Alan is his son, who was his mother (Susan would only have been 15 if it were her).
3.  Was Cecil married more than once.
4.  Are there any more children.

As I live in Malaysia, all of my research has to be done online, mostly through Ancestry.com and Family search so any information or guidance towards any other sources would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Keith

BIRTH 1919 • Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
DEATH 20 MAR 1968
1st cousin 1x removed

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cecil Howard Beaumont-Thom
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Have you seen his death record? Says he was married at the time.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QM-V41X

Most importantly, his address was 6 Stowe Street Woodstock.  This is the same address given by Alan at his marriage, and also Alan's marriage notes that consent was given by father (I presume as he was aged under 21).

I also notice that the marriages are online for Woodstock St Mary (where William was baptised) but not indexed, so you probably need to work through them to look for marriages for him. You might find a marriage for him and Susan (possibly quite close to the birth) and a remarriage for him afterwards.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1468076
 - this is the collection. Instead of searching by name click "Browse through 355,318 images", select "South Africa", then "Cape of Good Hope", then "Cape Town, Woodstock, St Mary".

If a set of images (like some of the baptisms) has been indexed you will see that index pop up at the bottom when you're looking at the images, otherwise you'll just have to work your way through the images and hope he's in there somewhere.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk