Author Topic: Searching for my ancestors the Wallace family of Ballyclare.  (Read 3939 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my ancestors the Wallace family of Ballyclare.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 August 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
A Robert Wallace married Isabella Shields 17 Dec.1916 Larne district-
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/4f84b56524779

From other free database search he's Robert Hugh Wallace (son of Henry) and she's Isabella Shields (daughter of James).
Thought this might be the correct Robert Hugh Wallace but his father also Robert Hugh-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Rural/Middle_Division/991564
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Urban/Unity_Street/192849

If this turns out to be your family it will be an interesting one to trace- Isabella Shields, daughter of James, mother born in Australia!
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus/Lancasterion_Street/992935
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Urban/Lancasterian_Street/192499
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 August 16 07:26 BST (UK) »

Larne Times 8th Nov 1951 mentions a man of that name  under title ''coat of arms''
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ic8/

This newspaper article confirms the date of marriage.  Samuel Wallace married his wife Jane on 23 April 1935, GRONI online has the civil marriage record (reg. no. M/1935/P1/2076/4/69), choose the 'Full view' option to see a digitised image of the pertinent part of the original certificate.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 August 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Regarding the birth of Samuel Sheils on 23 January 1914 registered Larne district, Carrickfergus sub-district, the mother's name was Isabella Sheils.

Regarding the 1916 marriage of Robert Wallace and Isabella Shields in St. Nicholas' Church of Ireland, Carrickfergus, just to note that Isabella's address was Lancasterian Street which fits with the previously posted 1901 and 1911 census returns.  However, groom Robert Hugh Wallace was recorded as a full aged widower and a Sergeant Major, with an address of the local Sunnylands Camp, his father (Henry) was given as a shopkeeper. Robert Hugh Wallace senior in the 1901 census at house 31 in Middle Division, Carrickfergus Rural (and in the 1911 census at house 22 in Unity Street, Carrickfergus) was married in Woodburn Presbyterian Church, Carrickfergus, to Jeannie Wilson in 1888, then Jane Bell in 1890, in both cases, his father was given as Thomas Wallace, a farmer.

Edited to add: There is an old local newspaper reference that 'During the Great War over 1,000 troops were stationed at Sunnylands Camp' and another reference to indicate that the Royal Irish Rifles were amongst those stationed. 

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 August 16 15:30 BST (UK) »

Larne Times 8th Nov 1951 mentions a man of that name  under title ''coat of arms''
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ic8/

This newspaper article confirms the date of marriage.  Samuel Wallace married his wife Jane on 23 April 1935, GRONI online has the civil marriage record (reg. no. M/1935/P1/2076/4/69), choose the 'Full view' option to see a digitised image of the pertinent part of the original certificate.

Hi I am sorry for the late reply, that is indeed the certificate my sister has, my late father somehow bought a copy of it.

I have also found out my grandfather married Annie Wallace her maiden name was McClean and they lived in Abercorn drive as well.

I have an Aunty still alive she is Janes eldest daughter, so Samuel Shields would've have been her step father but her father was living in the cottage next door, so it looks like  Jane and Samuel Shields went on to marry people in the same road after their divorce.

I need to find Samuel Shields birthdate some how, does anyone know if I can ask or get one from Groni?

As to the divorce in that paper clipping I cannot read it as I am not a paying member.

I am really really grateful for all of your help, I imagine I will come up against a brick wall. As there is hardly anything regarding Samuel Shields birth.

Interested in the Wallace’s from Ballymena and the Shields from Carrickfergus.

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 August 16 15:40 BST (UK) »
A Robert Wallace married Isabella Shields 17 Dec.1916 Larne district-
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/4f84b56524779

From other free database search he's Robert Hugh Wallace (son of Henry) and she's Isabella Shields (daughter of James).
Thought this might be the correct Robert Hugh Wallace but his father also Robert Hugh-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Rural/Middle_Division/991564
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Urban/Unity_Street/192849

If this turns out to be your family it will be an interesting one to trace- Isabella Shields, daughter of James, mother born in Australia!
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus/Lancasterion_Street/992935
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Urban/Lancasterian_Street/192499

Aghadowey, I saw that when searching through the records, it seems very coincidental that it is a Robert Wallace and a lady called Shields. It was like someone had kicked me lol.

I have been searching for hours every day now for 3 days, even my wife is searching, I guess I need to get that elusive Samuel Shields birth certificate.

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 August 16 15:56 BST (UK) »
Also I found this info on the web, another coincidence? Seeing as you said Robert was in the Army.

Offline Siamblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 August 16 17:17 BST (UK) »

... As to the divorce in that paper clipping I cannot read it as I am not a paying member ...

I've sent you a pm about this.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 August 16 18:29 BST (UK) »

https://www.facebook.com/CarrickfergusRollOfHonour/photos/a.557265724326186.1073741828.557262674326491/773881985997891/?type=3&theater

Well done in finding the facebook reference, the CWGC website also says 'Son of Robert and Mary Wallace', at odds with his father's name 'Henry' recorded in the 1916 marriage though:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/471466/WALLACE,%20R%20H