Author Topic: Royal Marine "D D" Discharged Dead ?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Royal Marine "D D" Discharged Dead ?
« on: Tuesday 30 August 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi There
I have in my family a Royal Marine William Tivey born Portsmouth 1830c  - Lived in Derby most of his life (moved there after his father retired from the Navy himself) and he attested in the town June 1854. I have managed to get a copy of his naval record. It doesnt really give me much information other then his attestation and physical description.

In the 1861 census he is aboard the "Hydra" listed as "Wm Tivey" Private RN 28 years born Derby.
I havent found him in any other census and his record had the words in RED " 27 December 1861 D D in Cd Hydra"  (image attached)  I have been informed that this means he was Discharged Dead on this date?

Can someone clarify this and is there anyway of finding out what happened to him. Ive looked at the Deaths at Sea indexes and he isnt on there - Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
Jan Ann
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Marine "D D" Discharged Dead ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
Wiki entry states that HMS Hydra was recommissioned in 1858 and served on the North America and West Indies station until 1862. Does this help?
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Marine "D D" Discharged Dead ? How do I find out more ?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that :)

Ive just found a newspaper report, under the heading "News from the American papers" -  dated 27 December 1861 which states her majesty's ship Hydra arrived in Nova Scotia yesterday. So I am assuming it was anchored Canada on the day that he died which was the 27th.

I a looking for the cause of death or what happened to him, as I cant seem to find anything other than his attestation papers and that doesnt list the ships he served on etc.  I know that on the 1861 census he was on the Hydra then which was stationed in Havannah Cuba on the night of the census, and his attestation papers state "DD" 27th December 1861 Hydra.

Thanks for your help.

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Em2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 12:27 BST (UK) »
From
http://www.nmrn.org.uk/research/service-record-abbreviations

DAMS Defensively Armed Merchant Ships (1914-18)

D Detention (in RN or other military Detention Quarters) Sentence of Detention required a Punishment Warrant and was for a period of upwards of 28 days. Could be remitted by up to 7 days and recorded as ‘awarded’ or ‘served’

D Discharged

DD Discharged Dead (usually written in red pencil or heavy black ink)

DEMS Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships (1939-45)

Demob. Demobilisation followed by release class and date

DEPOT Deal

Det Detached, detachment

Div, Divn Division: Chatham (Ch), Portsmouth (Po), Plymouth (Ply)

D/Maj. Drum Major

DP Detained Pay

DW Daily wage

DWS Died on War Service (as opposed to KIA)
Scotland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA
Anderson, Baillie, Beecroft, Duff, Godfrey, Lamond, Lang, Leitch, Millar, Mulholland, Ure, Weir and 220 other cool names.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
If you can get to Kew, (or get someone to look for you) the ship's log for the period is at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1470006 and may well record his death (which may have been on voyage).

The death may have been recorded in the ADM series see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-sea-or-abroad/ 

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all

Ive been doing a lot of reading today :) and learned quite a lot about The US Civil War and Geography too :)

It seems that the ship arrived in Nova Scotia  a few days before his death and it frequented the waters between Canada and Bermuda and WIs.  This all fits with an mystery man with the same name "William Tivey" who washed up on the shore in Bermuda in the 1860's who married in St George Bermuda.

Im afraid I cant to Kew, but hopefully might be able to get someone to go on my behalf, so thank you very much for the suggestion.

All very appreciated :)
Jan Ann

TIVEY, WILDE,