Author Topic: Many Questions About DNA Testing  (Read 8364 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Many Questions About DNA Testing
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
After all the wonderful help I received I would like to ask another question.

With the specials on and some funds coming my way , I am able to afford another Family Finder test or upgrade to a Y-DNA test ( at a stretch) , but I thought I would get my mother  a FF test. I think I understand that I may or may not share all her DNA and am comfortable with that.

My question is by testing her will I get a larger mitochondrial selection or will it be ''her'' mixture, or a combination of both. ie I get to see more of a mitochondrial line as well as a mixture?

Hope I haven't confused anyone ( the basic question is can I cheat my way to a Mitochondrial :P )
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
David, your mother could get the FF plus mt Full Sequence together or get the FF now and upgrade later. The mt traces the maternal line. Your line is her line so you both don't need to be tested. You could also just upgrade your own kit.
The value of having your mother take the FF (autosomal), is that you can determine which parent your matches are related to.
Don't forget the specials on at the moment plus there are coupons available for all of the tests (except the FF). These continue to Christmas.
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 12:09 GMT (UK) »
David, your mother could get the FF plus mt Full Sequence together or get the FF now and upgrade later. The mt traces the maternal line. Your line is her line so you both don't need to be tested. You could also just upgrade your own kit.
The value of having your mother take the FF (autosomal), is that you can determine which parent your matches are related to.
Don't forget the specials on at the moment plus there are coupons available for all of the tests (except the FF). These continue to Christmas.
Thanks Spike. The bolded was one of the main reasons I thought of getting her DNA done.

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Hmm!! Well I would go for having my mother tested if it was me having to make the decision. Unfortunately in my case, my closest relatives who I would have loved to have tested, no longer with us.
Most experts advise testing the oldest living  member of your family if possible. You could do the basic FF for her and upgrade it to MtDNA when  possible.

Regards
lemur41

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 08 January 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
2 things. I asked my mother and she refused.

The other thing , I use gedmatch and one of their features is they show which chromosome you match on. ie I will match with another person on Chromosone 18

My question is if we match on Ch18 if I then search all my CH18 matches then we ALL should have a closer paper match we can identify, is this correct? ( not sure if this will make sense)

Scott, Cronin

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 08 January 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
David

Pity about your Mum, but it's not for everybody!!. I am also on Gedmatch, am currently trying to unravel one of my matches on Chr 18  (LOL) , you have 3 or 4 names below in my FT, but don't come up as a match to myself.
Which is a pity, because I've lots of queries regarding those particular names. We might have been able to help each other.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 08 January 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
David, a bit of nagging might persuade your mum. Or perhaps try bribery.

Shame she has refused. Do you know why?

You did tell her the test is just a cheek swab?

Does she have a sibling who you could ask instead?

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 08 January 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
David, a bit of nagging might persuade your mum. Or perhaps try bribery.

Shame she has refused. Do you know why?

You did tell her the test is just a cheek swab?

Does she have a sibling who you could ask instead?
Yes, male. I will ask him. I will also pick a moment when I can take the time to ask her. A very stubborn woman.

Scott, Cronin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 08 January 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
David

Pity about your Mum, but it's not for everybody!!. I am also on Gedmatch, am currently trying to unravel one of my matches on Chr 18  (LOL) , you have 3 or 4 names below in my FT, but don't come up as a match to myself.
Which is a pity, because I've lots of queries regarding those particular names. We might have been able to help each other.
Oh well. What are the names you want help with?

Scott, Cronin