Author Topic: 1820s Kelly's or Pigot's Directory - William Nunn  (Read 566 times)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1820s Kelly's or Pigot's Directory - William Nunn
« on: Friday 02 September 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've found a reference in a will, written in August 1827, to a William Nunn, coal seller of the City of London. I'm not sure if they literally mean "the City of London" or if they mean just "London" generally.

Does any kind soul have access to a Directory from around that time, which would help me pinpoint him? An address (street or parish) would be really useful! I've tried looking online but I don't think any have been digitised for London for that period.

William had married in Suffolk and had children there between 1806 and 1815, baptised at the Wesleyan Chapel in Ipswich. I knew that three of his children had moved to London, but this will is the first piece of evidence I have that William had moved there himself.

His son Joshua was married at Hoxton in 1833, as did his daughter Mary King Nunn in 1835. His daughter Sarah Ann married Shoreditch in 1836. However, I think William had died by 1836 - there is an insurance document at the LMA for property inherited by Joshua's wife from her father, and the trustees are "George Clarke and David Nunn, Shoreditch", and two men who are uncles of Joshua's wife (Joshua's wife had died by this point).

I have a David Nunn of Shoreditch in my family tree (b abt 1786, died 1841) who is a brickwall, and I am researching this angle as I'm wondering if William could be David's brother.

Note: I have just this second found the baptism of a child who I think must be another son of William's, at the City Road Wesleyan Chapel in 1818. The child was born in Shoreditch in 1817. And another child born in Shoreditch in 1822 - so I think that might be the area to look!

So... that's narrowed the search somewhat. Could someone look at Shoreditch, please?

Thanks!
Helen.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1820s Kelly's or Pigot's Directory - William Nunn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
Erm... I think I've just found them on the Hackney Road on the 1841 census!

William Nunn, 65 oilman, (Joshua's second marriage gives his father's occupation as oilman)
Sarah Nunn, 55
Neither born in county.
Rebecca N Nunn 19 dress maker
Charlotte Nunn 15, both born in Middlesex.

Gosh. I'd assumed that because David was Joshua's trustee, William had to be dead! Erm... well... we shall see... I will investigate....

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1820s Kelly's or Pigot's Directory - William Nunn
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Let us know if you decide you need a directory lookup and I should be able to have a crack at it on Saturday
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE