Author Topic: Trinidad marriage Bateson/Holder  (Read 1269 times)

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Trinidad marriage Bateson/Holder
« on: Friday 02 September 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
My stepfather Eric Bateson married Eryl Holder while he was stationed at HMS Goshawk at Piarco on Trinidad.  We're not sure of the date but it would be between June 1941 and October 1944.  We don't know if they married on the Naval Base or in a local church.  I need to find details of the marriage and preferably a copy of the certificate.  I have tried all the normal sites, with no luck.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The Registrar General's department on Trinidad will not deal with international queries!
Thanks
Sunic
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Wicklow, Portsmouth, Devon

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad marriage Bateson/Holder
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 16 13:29 BST (UK) »
have just had a look round including british forces marriages overseas but cant find any record of them , are you certain they did get married
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
We're pretty sure they did because she applied to have her name changed on her passport and the record says the Marriage Certificate was seen.
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
just found a passenger list for an eric osment bateson aged 29yrs 8mos royal navy paymaster born surrey
eryl hampden bateson aged 28yrs 4mos born eng [ london]
a child of erics and eryl born 1943 bwi [ cant post name as looks like they are still alive !
ship name ss maaskerk sailing from british guiana 30-9 44 onto trinidad left there 10-10-44 all passengers in transit to united kingdom .
regards
trevor
ps eryl born greenwich 1916 it appears

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 16 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trevor, yes that's when they returned to the UK at the end of his posting.  There was 1 child at that point (who IS still alive) and there is one more subsequently. 

Neither of the children have ever seen a marriage certificate, and the date they thought the marriage was has turned out to be extremely unlikely.  They are hoping to get to the bottom of it - both their parents are now dead, so we can't ask them.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 September 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
just as a thought as we dont seem to be able to find marriage details im thinking it would be worth while getting in touch with the gro , general records office , direct if anyone has details of the marriage it should be them , seeing as eric was a serving officer in the navy even though it doesnt show in british armed forces marriage records online , i cant think of any other way you may find it now.
regards
trevor

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 September 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
I'll give them a try.  Trouble is we're not sure they married on the base - they could have used a local church.  I've tried the Archives on Trinidad but they won't deal with international queries.   >:(

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 September 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
thing is as they are both brits and he being a serving officer he would i,m certain have to get permisssion from a senior officer to wed and trinidad back then being part of the british empire even if they wed in a local church say it should be registered at the gro as well , i appreciate what you say regarding international enquiries annoying to say the very least .
regards
trevor
ps if you find out anything i for one would be interested to hear it.

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 September 16 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trevor.  Eryl was British but had lived in South Africa for years, would that make a difference?  I will try the GRO and let you know.