Author Topic: Workhouses in Tavistock 1808?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Workhouses in Tavistock 1808?
« on: Sunday 04 September 16 22:43 BST (UK) »
My 5xgt grandparents Richard and Elizabeth BEARD, appear to have died Feb and Mar 1808 (Tavistock), leaving a young family (Maria 1790, Dorothy 1791, Elizabeth 1795, Martha 1798, Mary Ann 1800, Charlotte 1803). The older daughters could probably have gone straight into service or married off, but I don't know about the younger ones. There is a possibility Richard was married before with one son of the same name who might have been able to take responsibility for his sisters, or another family member or members might have taken them in but I don't know if it is possible for me to prove that, whereas there might be the possibility of records if they were taken in by the parish and put into the workhouse.

Charlotte marries later on in Tavistock, Dorothy appears to be an unmarried servant in 1851 and Mary Ann was my ancestor- so they don't appear to have left Tavistock.

Anyone know enough about Tavistock records to know of the likelihood of finding out what happened to the children?

Thanks
Ayashi

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouses in Tavistock 1808?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 16 23:12 BST (UK) »
The relevant page on Workhouses.org (http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Tavistock/) has this to say about records:

Records at Devon Heritage Centre, Exeter
Holdings include: Births (1866-1945); Deaths (1866-1919); Creed Register (1868-75, 1879-90, 1914-1932) Punishment Book (1914-48); etc.

So probably best to contact the Heritage Centre?
www.devon.co.uk/record_office.htm
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)