Author Topic: John Don b1819 Dunning, Perthshire Help with birth  (Read 1109 times)

Offline taalia81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Don b1819 Dunning, Perthshire Help with birth
« on: Monday 05 September 16 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have John Don born c1819 in Dunning Perthshire.  This information comes from census records.  I have him on 1841, 1851 and 1861.

Upon his death 1870 (an unfortunate case of suicide) the record of his death has his father as John Don (deceased) and mother as Janet Don ms Maxton.

I can't find a birth record for John (jnr) nor a marriage for John and Janet or a death for John snr.

To complicate matters, it looks like I have Janet marrying or at least living with a James Henderson and in 1851 the census but is recorded as Maxton but also "Wife" to James. 

I'm not sure if Janet's marriages or potential lack of(!) are a red herring.  This is a frustration to me and I've looked a few times with no luck.

John Don (jnr) marries Mary Leslie and they have 14 children, eventually settling in Anstruther.  I just can't any concrete information on John's birth!

Thanks in advance of any help received.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: John Don b1819 Dunning, Perthshire Help with birth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Taalia81,
Here are some details from Familysearch.org that, if correct, may give you a start.
Janet Maxton bpt. 3 Feb 1792 to Robert Maxton and Bethia Maxton Williamston in Madderty parish.

I haven’t found a birth for John senior, or a marriage for John and Janet, but these baptisms look like they belong to their family:
John Don Birth 12 April 1815 Bpt. 23 Apr 1815 to John Don no mother recorded Dunbarney* parish.
David Don Birth 2 June 1817 Bpt. 11 June 1817 to John Don no mother recorded Dunbarney parish
Robert Doan Birth 30 May 1819 Bpt. 7 June 1819 to John Doan and Jannet Maxton Dunning parish.

(*John Don junior later gives his birthplace as Dunning. He would have only been about two or three years old when the family moved from Dunbarney, so he may well have thought he was born in Dunning parish.)

It looks like John Don senior died between the birth of Robert (1819) and this marriage:
James Henderson (with no bride recorded but assume Janet Maxton) on 23 August 1823 in Dunning parish. (I also mention that there is a marriage of a James Henderson to an Ann Doyle in 1820 in Dunning parish. The “Doyle” however may be a mistranscription or a variation of “Dougal” because a James Henderson and Ann Dougal recorded baptisms from 1821 to 1841 in Dunning parish and there is no marriage recorded between those two names.)

Then there are these baptisms for children born to James Henderson and Janet Paxton:
James Greig Henderson Birth 14 June 1828 Bpt. 22 June 1828 in Dunning parish.
Peter Henderson Birth 13 Oct 1831 Bpt. 23 Oct 1831 in Dunning parish.
Bathia Henderson Birth 13 Sep 1833 Bpt. 22 Sept 1823 in Dunning parish.
Jane Henderson Birth 25 Aug 1835 Bpt. 6 Sep 1835 in Dunning parish.

It looks like John Don junior was living with his mother and stepfather in 1841, while the other boys (David and Robert) were absent. John is recorded as being only ten years old but this looks like a mistranscription because he is given the occupation of “Wright”. Details from Ancestry.com are:
Address: Commercial Street (Dunning). James 40 (Occupation “Sp Deal” (Spirit Dealer?), Janet 45, Mary 14, James 11, Peter 9, Bethia 7, Jean 5, and John Don 10 (?) (Occupation Wright).

I can’t identify John junior’s brother David in the 1841 census; perhaps one of two David Dons in Edinburgh was him (one an ironmonger and the other a tailor).

However, the 1851 census details below look like those of David, because of the second name of the son (Henderson, the stepfather’s name) and David’s occupation (Spirit dealer, same as the stepfather). But David’s place of birth on the census record is a mystery (Blantyre, Lanarkshire; perhaps he misconstrued the question on the census paper ?):
Address: Thornleighbank, Renfrewshire. David Don 29, Sarah Ann Don 26, Peter Henderson Don 5, John Williams 49, father-in-law from England, Assistant in Sprit Dealer, John Moses 21, from Glasgow, Salesman to Spirit Dealers, and Catherine Miller 24, from Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, House Servant.

It looks like John junior’s younger brother, Robert, became a soldier. In 1841 it looks like him in 2 Batt. Scots Fusilier Guards at St George Barracks, Middlesex, England, and in 1851 - as Robert Donn - at St Johns Wood Barracks.

Hope you have fun checking out the above details.

Cheers, Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline taalia81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Don b1819 Dunning, Perthshire Help with birth
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you very much for that very detailed post.  I am really appreciative of the time spent to pull that together! 

What you have found certainly ties in with some of what I had also found but I had not got as far as finding John Don Jnr's siblings, that is indeed very helpful!

It will definitely take me some time to go through the info you've posted but it is so nice to have had another set of eyes look at this!

Thanks again.