Author Topic: VILLAGE STREET SCENE Hillside buildings. UK LOCATION help, please  (Read 8558 times)

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: VILLAGE STREET SCENE Hillside buildings. UK LOCATION help, please
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 08 September 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
The cart driver sems to be behind the horse and cart. The person standing with his back to the camera could be doing all sorts off things, I doubt though that he is urinating on the footpath.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 08 September 16 13:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this has already been suggested (too many messages to read them all!) but I don't think that is a sign on a post.  I think it is a sign on the house/property. 

Offline Woodsend17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 08 September 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
For anyone with old photos but lacking location you could try the Francis Frith site, they have a lot post card style photos of places from yesteryear. You may find photos of buildings that no longer exist.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 08 September 16 13:57 BST (UK) »

Also, opposite the horse and cart, there appears to be a gentleman (the cart driver?) relieving  himself in public and on camera. Why would he do that if there were public toilets nearby?

He wouldn't know there was a camera behind him and that's just something men do - public lavatorials to hand or not  ::)

Good idea re Francis Frith those old photos are a wonderful record. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 08 September 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
A couple of thoughts about some of what's been suggested:

First, on the public conveniences/pub toilets question. The arrangement of the "ladies" and "gents" doorways in relation to the main building isn't symmetrical. There's another one-storey property between the far one and the "pub" (or whatever it is), which isn't whitewashed. I think it's just coincidence that those two have both been whitewashed and also have some kind of sign outside. The intervening unwhitewashed cottage (?) may or may not be part of the "pub".

Second, as has already been pointed out, I very much doubt the lady is a nun. I grew up near a convent in the 1960s, and the nuns then wore ankle-length habits, and their wimples covered their hair completely. I know orders may differ, but I don't think the style that is being inferred here would have been seen until 1970 or later.

For what it's worth, Matlock Bath occurred to me too, but I haven't found anything to match.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 08 September 16 16:18 BST (UK) »
I must be missing something folks.  Where are the indications that there are Ladies & Gents toilets in that photograph?

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 08 September 16 16:26 BST (UK) »
Might be my imagination but can anyone see a building (Church or something?) in the background?  Immediately above the 2nd chimney pot down from the X. 

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 08 September 16 17:02 BST (UK) »
Just wondering whether the fact there are so many benches outside the houses could mean that they face a good view, perhaps looking out over a valley?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 08 September 16 17:04 BST (UK) »
The main building looks to me far more like a pub than any other kind of residential accommodation - maybe the sign had broken? On that theme too, do pub porches/doorways have any particular regional style? There's a similar one with a door in the side rather than going straight in at the Blue Bell Inn, Tissington (Derbyshire), though the door is in the opposite side.

I'm wondering too, as I often do, about which direction we're looking in. The seats might, as has been suggested, be positioned for looking at a view, but might they also be facing roughly south? If so, then the pub doorway would be facing east, away from the prevailing winds.

There's not much shadow to go on, apart from one across the road just beyond the horse. Is that from the tree on the left of the road, or am I reading too much into it?

There's quite strong shading on the seat front right, which might suggest we're looking a bit southward. How about the road running more or less NE-SW, and the pub facing SE?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk