Author Topic: Jordin - Reeve puzzle  (Read 1071 times)

Offline avj

• RootsChat Member
  • Patience my ****, I'm going to press something...
    • View Profile
Jordin - Reeve puzzle
« on: Saturday 23 July 05 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help sort out a small puzzle for me.

In the 1901 census I have Edmund and Ann Jordin living with Sarah Reeve and they are listed as brother and sister to Sarah.

I have a record of a Sarah Jordin of the right age (ie born 1840 in Chelmarsh) with Edmund and Ann listed as siblings. In 1901 and 1881 censuses Sarah is shown as widowed.

I found a record of a marriage between Sarah Jordin and Thomas Reeve  in dec 1869 and a record for Thomas Reeve born in 1849 in W Bromwich, Staffs.

so far so good...

However, I cannot find any record for the death of a Thomas Reeve.
Or rather, the only one I can find (in 1871) doesn't match the date of birth. It gives the age as 29 which is out by 7 years.

To make matters worse the 1881 census shows a Thomas Reeve, b 1849 in W Bromwich married to Sarah Ann Reeve.

I need to confirm if the marriage I have is the right one, and if so is there a record of the death of Thomas Reeve.

If it isn't the right marriage, who did Sarah Jordin marry and when did he die?

Many thanks for any light you can shed on this,

Adrian
Jordin, Cooper, Hobbs, Hardwick, Crotch, Carver, Taylor

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jordin - Reeve puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 July 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian

Have you got Sarah in 1861 and 1871 censuses?

The marriage looks a reasonable assumption, based on her being single in 1861 and widowed in 1871.

How about sending for the cert and then asking for an 1851 look-up to find her father?

Or maybe someone has burials for thomas that they could check - he doesn't seem to be on freebmd.  then again, they seem to be quite affluent, maybe he died in London or elsewhere?

Let me know if you need the 1861/71.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Incidentally, Sarah's name in 1871 is transcribed as RASE, but looks like KASE - maybe her accent?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline avj

• RootsChat Member
  • Patience my ****, I'm going to press something...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 05 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

Thanks, for the reply.

I have Sarah Jordin on the 1851 census.
I cannot find Sarah Jordin or Reeve on the 1871 census (or at least Ancestry's version of them).

To make life complicated..
I have Sarah Jordan (but no Jordin or Reeve) on the 1861 census.
She was born 1840, Chelmarsh; the same as Sarah Jordin... The census has her living with her aunt Sarah Cresswell (b 1779) in Romsley, Shropshire. No others in the household apart from a servant.

Looks like another trawl down the byways to see if this is another case of the enumerator assuming he knows how to spell.

Fun this, isn't it....

Adrian

Jordin, Cooper, Hobbs, Hardwick, Crotch, Carver, Taylor

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 05 19:22 BST (UK) »
In that case...

RG10/2989   132   5

JORDIN Sarah H W 63 - farmer 288 acres emp 3 lab & 2 boys - Alveley
JORDIN Edmund son U 29 - Chelmarsh
JORDIN Anne dau U 27 - ditto
KASE Sarah dau W 31 - ditto
CLEMMINGS? Sarah visitor U 33 - Birmingham
+ 2 servants

Address:Blacklands Farm, Bobbington village

;)

this is the one mentioned above that is transcribed as RASE (and may well be!)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)