Author Topic: Stuck in Ireland  (Read 1279 times)

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck in Ireland
« on: Thursday 08 September 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I am now looking for a Judith Slattery who married Patrick Sinnott 2 Oct 1819 in Booterstown, Dublin.  I can see there are Slattery families but no Judith.   Any help greatly appreciated.

Teresa  ???

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 16 18:38 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633702#page/4/mode/1up
near bottom of right hand page,
Christopher is likely related to her, have you found anything on him?

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 September 16 21:01 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633702#page/4/mode/1up
near bottom of right hand page,
Christopher is likely related to her, have you found anything on him?
Thank you for that.  I still have no luck finding her birth.  There are only a couple of Judiths and not the right kind of years and I am unsure of the areas.  Christopher does not come up at all for me.  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 September 16 22:53 BST (UK) »
Brides usually married in the same parish they were baptised in but there is a gap in the baptism records for Booterstown 1797 and 1798 are missing, if she was 19/20ish when she married she would have been born in those years.

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 September 16 07:23 BST (UK) »
Brides usually married in the same parish they were baptised in but there is a gap in the baptism records for Booterstown 1797 and 1798 are missing, if she was 19/20ish when she married she would have been born in those years.
Thank you for that.  I agree with you.  Also, I have tried to look for Christopher as maybe her father, by looking for a marriage of a Christopher Slattery in Dublin around 1797, giving 10 years around that date, but nothing is coming up.  Any thoughts?  ???

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 September 16 16:51 BST (UK) »
I would be more inclined to think Christopher was her brother.

Her parents would again most like have married in her mother's parish which may or may not be Booterstown. Women at the time were often having children for up to 20 years so if Judith was one of the youngest the parents marriage could be up to 40 years before Judith's marriage.

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 September 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
So should I look in the Booterstown registers for his birth around the same time?  As we found their marriage in the Catholic Register is it likely the Slattery's are Catholic?  I only ask this as from the time they are in England they are having their children christened in a Church of England.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 September 16 19:28 BST (UK) »
There isn't anything extra on the marriage but than all the entries are very basic.
Usually you would have to be Catholic to marry in an RC Church, often you will see an adult baptism in the same year as the marriage if one of the couple wasn't RC but I don't see one.(I only had a quick look)
People of course did what ever suited them so changing churches when they moved wouldn't be unusual.y

They may of course not originally be from Booterstown if her father's job involved moving around but Booterstown is the only clue you have so I would have a careful look there first.

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 04:24 BST (UK) »
Are you aware of the fact that 'Judith' was generally only a conventional way of writing 'Julia', which was later often equivalent to 'Sheila'?