Author Topic: Trying to trace William Johnson NSW Australia  (Read 6933 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace William Johnson NSW Australia
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 11 September 16 01:38 BST (UK) »
Getting back to NSW RO problems - they are asking for examples of records which could be retrieved up until a couple of months ago using archives investigator (now deceased) and can't be accessed now using their new search engine.

I thought the Johnson and Hyde divorce were 2 good examples - the Johnson one showed on the archived website which CupOfLife found and the Hyde divorce was ordered by Karen and confirmed by newsclip.  :)

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 11 September 16 01:57 BST (UK) »
JOHNSON as a surname was and continues to be among the TOP TEN for popularity in NSW.   Once upon a time, including in the 1920s the then current electoral rolls were available for anyone to look through at Post Offices.  You did not need to ask at the teller’s counter.   You could also go to your local Alderman and ask for name/s of owner if you knew an address.   And of course, you could go to the pub and ask around there too, so anyone with a bit of a grudge or alternatively ‘leg pulling’ etc could cause troubles for others…   So, it is entirely possible that there has been a case of mistaken identity way back when the Petitioner in HYDE v HYDE was nominating a co-respondent.   Perhaps a solicitor’s clerk went and looked through electoral rolls or asked a Postman or Milkman, or Baker, and found JOHNSON at the Auburn address, and put 2 + 2 together and assumed that there was no other likely candidate for co-respondent.   Perhaps the co-respondent was JOHNSTONE, or JOHNSTON, or perhaps his name was simply a convenient invention to allow the divorce to proceed.

Sands Directories are free to search at the following link : http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

Sands 1925 Directory has THREE pages of entries for the surname JOHNSON, several are in Auburn. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 11 September 16 03:43 BST (UK) »
I'm sure Karen is aware that this possibility isn't a certainty (and probably never will be).   But it's a strong lead and easier to investigate than the infinite other possibilities.  We have a Bill Johnson living (and dying) at the same address as William Johnson when he was served with divorce papers.

There is a quite small chance that there maybe some clues in the probate and divorce files.  Perhaps he has a handwritten will or perhaps the divorce file contains letters as evidence.  The handwriting could be compared with the letters from Billy and well who knows ...?

Yes I'll try to get there this week ...  :)
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 11 September 16 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros! 

Yes, I agree with you about the 'strong lead'.  The coincidence is enough to make me believe that, that is Bill I am looking for.  (Thank you  ;D  for offering to photograph some of the records for me - don't forget I do have the records of the divorce for Hyde vs Hyde but no signatures for William Johnson). 

Having said that, I understand that I must try and prove the information is correct.  The handwriting would be one way to find out -  I have handwritten letters from 'Billy' J. 

Hopefully with the results of the DNA test I may be able to have a little more proof.

Thank you MaJm! >  I did take a look through the Sands Directories and viewed all the Johnson in Auburn but to no avail.  (I also looked for my great, grandfather Enoch and found him as Henry at the correct address.  However, I also looked up the surname Adams and could not find one!).  Hopefully this link may help with other searches.

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 11 September 16 04:00 BST (UK) »
Jamjar >  Darrell John JOHNSON (aka 'Bill' but who knows why that is???)

I have been fleshing out all the information from BDM and found a few more.  Getting there!  Although I need a good stretch - my neck is aching!!  ;)

Thanks again!

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi rosball!

It took three goes but I have now had my DNA tested and the returned results linked me to two relatives of Johnson so I am 99.9% sure Darrell John Johnson is my grandfather and is the same man you found the death notice for and other information. So thanks so much to you, and also to everyone else on Rootschat for contributing so much to help with my search.  Still very stuck on getting more information and I wanted help with one more questions.  Can anyone advise me the best way to find old school photos or do you know of any sites (Australian) that help with finding people in old photographs? 

I hope that you all enjoyed the season break and I wish you all a very Happy 2017!
Karen

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 05 January 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
   How exciting that the DNA has provided such strong confirmation :)  :D :D

Thanks for letting us know.   We all enjoyed helping.  :)

Happy New Year  :)
Ros