Author Topic: Carrickmoes  (Read 6594 times)

Offline billie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Carrickmoes
« on: Saturday 23 July 05 17:36 BST (UK) »
Any information on this place? On the 1881 UK census, it states that my paternal gg grandmother was born here c1829. Her name was Margaret Finn. She emigrated to the UK c1860. Can anyone help?
Thanks...Billie
Durham-Hedley,Ward,Garrett,Dobson,Wellburn,Williamson,Garrett,Prissich,Gregory,Greson,Grey,Taylor
Durham and Yorkshire-Moiser
Balfron-Lynch,Bruce
Ireland-Smith,Finn

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Carrickmoes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 July 05 20:24 BST (UK) »
It could be CARRICKMORE... there are townlands of that name in the following counties: Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Roscommon & Tyrone. Plus many others with CARRICK in the name and a lot of towns too, no parishes that I am aware of and nothing at all with the name Carrickmoes.
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline billie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 05 23:37 BST (UK) »
Is there a Carrickmore in Kilkenny?
Billie
Durham-Hedley,Ward,Garrett,Dobson,Wellburn,Williamson,Garrett,Prissich,Gregory,Greson,Grey,Taylor
Balfron-Lynch,Bruce
Ireland-Smith,Finn

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 05 23:56 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not. But take a look at this it might be of interest.  http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlkik/khistorc.htm

Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline billie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 05 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks....Billie
Balfron-Lynch,Bruce
Ireland-Smith,Finn

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 05 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Billie,

Do you have any information to indicate that Margaret FINN was from Kilkenny??

I searched for a Margaret FINN in the 1881 England census but no luck.  So I then searched for Margaret with birthplace Carrickmoes.  I assume that your Margaret appears in that census as Margeret(sic) SMITH, wife of Matthew SMITH ...

The 1881 census index lists Matthew's birthplace as Kilkenny, Ireland.  It lists Margaret's birthplace as Carrickmoes, Ireland but with no indication of the county.

On the image, it looks to me more like "Carrekmoes, Do" - the ditto being under Ireland from the line above (there is no ditto under Kilkenny from the line above).  However, this doesn't seem to help as I can't find a Carrekmoes either - either by Googling or by searching on the excellent seanruad site at:
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad

A couple of other thoughts (though they don't match the census image) might be the following townlands - Carrickmourne in Kilkenny, or Carrickmines in Dublin.

Unfortunately, other censuses seem only to list the birthplaces of Matthew and Margaret as Ireland ..

Matthew and Margaret were presumably married in Ireland as, in the 1861 census, they have a daughter born Ireland.

Regards,

JAP

Offline billie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 05 12:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply. You were correct in the fact that Margaret was married to Matthew. I did not know that they had a daughter born prior to 1861. I do not have access to that census. Would you be able to tell me her name? Was she born in Kilkenny? Where would you suggest that I go from here? I have really come to a brick wall with this side of the family.
Billie
Balfron-Lynch,Bruce
Ireland-Smith,Finn

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 July 05 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Billie,

The daughter's name was Kathrine/Catherine, she was 1 in 1861 and 11 in 1871, and her birthplace is given just as Ireland.

In 1861 the family was in Middlesborough, Yorkshire:
Matthew SMITH, Head, 35, Drainer
Margaret SMITH, Wife, 28, Dressmaker
Kathrine SMITH, Daughter, 1
and 3 unmarried lodgers - Owen MCDONALD, 25; Ann RILEY, 16; James MCLEARY, 25.
Birth place of everyone in the above household is given simply as Ireland.

In 1871 the family was in Low Bitchburn, North Bedburn, Durham:
SMITH Mathew, Head, 48, Labourer, b Ireland
Do Margret, Wife, 40, b Ireland
Do Catherine, Daughter, 11, b Ireland
Do Mathew, Son, 9, b Yorkshire Middleston(sic)
Do Michael, Son, 8, b Durham Witton-Park
Do Patrick, Son, 6, b Durham Shincliffe
Do Mary, Daughter, 3, b Durham Broom(sic)
Do John, Son, 1, b Durham Tow Law(sic)

In 1881, Catherine is very likely the Catherine SMITH, 20, b Ireland, a servant at the Railway Tavern in St Helens Auckland, Durham.

As Matthew and Margaret were married, and Catherine was born, before the start of civil registration in Ireland, it may well be a real brickwall.

JAP

Offline billie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 July 05 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for your help. Matthew and Margaret Smith were my great great grandparents on my paternal side. Their son Michael was my great grandfather. I never knew that Matthew and Margaret had a daughter prior to having Matthew jr. I think that I will try and see in BMD if she ever got married....perhaps if I could locate her marriage certificate it would state where she was born. I knew that searching out the origins of the Smith family would be difficult but you have at least given me some information that I did not know. Thanks again...Billie
Balfron-Lynch,Bruce
Ireland-Smith,Finn