Author Topic: Is it possible to save an excel document as a jpeg/jpg or pdf?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to save an excel document as a jpeg/jpg or pdf?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
:) Yep  :)

Does your printer have extra features ....  We have a Brother MFC - J65200W

My husband suggests you print the excel files, and then re-scan them, saving them either as jpeg or as pdf  (both are options with that printer), and then email them to yourself, as attachments for back ups. 

JM  PS, my OH says that my reply to you is the shortest post I have ever made at RChat.  ::)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
My husband suggests you print the excel files, and then re-scan them, saving them either as jpeg or as pdf (both are options with that printer), and then email them to yourself, as attachments for back ups.

Seems like an awful faff to make a backup. Plus you only get the raw data printed out - you don't get any formula, formatting, macros and have to reenter the data all over again should you lose your original. And it seems an awful waste of ink just to print something out for rescanning, although you do end up with a hard copy provided it doesn't get lost/damaged/destroyed.

If it works for you, then fine. But I'd suggest alternatives such as multiple copies on USB drives, CD/DVDs, "cloud" copies, etc.

Offline JleeM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 October 16 15:07 BST (UK) »
I use an online program similar to microsoft excel but it's the google version.
Google docs won't actually let me save the document unless i download it and convert it to a PDF.  I'm not sure if google docs works with windows but it's worth a shot if you have a tablet or chromebook.

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 October 16 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
coming in late again, but I had a lot of trouble trying to convert Excel from PDF, so in the end I scanned the excel document as a photo (JPEG) - very slow, but I was able to print it out.
Bev
I have HP Office jet 4650
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 October 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
No - printing off, then scanning and saving is a ridiculous faff!

Newer versions of windows have the Snip tool - this is the easiest and quickest way of saving items from the screen as a JPEG. Look for it in the list of "apps".

If the Snip tool isn't present, use the screen dump facility. Along the top of your screen, there is a key that says "print screen", PRTSC" or similar. Depending on the version, you press this at the same time as either the function key or the ALT key, and it just copies everything that is on the screen. Paste this into any graphics package (Paint is the most basic, and comes with all Windows systems). Within Paint, you can trim your image down to whatever size you want.  Very, very easy

Mike

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 October 16 08:40 BST (UK) »
The snip tool is my best friend!!!  Why didn't I think of that before instead of going round and round and getting nowhere slowly.
I think the 'brain drains' are coming faster and faster as I get older and I cant catch up with them.
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline JleeM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 November 16 04:19 GMT (UK) »
It sounds like your're already half way there and you have Vista which means your office 03 is upgradable if you havn't already had it upgraded.
The Microsoft Windows XP include this version of the Windows Installer in the operating system and will prompt you when available to upgrade office. If for some reason your vista hasn't upgraded office automatically then the latest version of Windows Installer is available as a separate download at the following locations: Windows Installer for Windows 95, 98, and ME Windows Installer for Windows NT 4.0 and 2000
Download the Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB2449798) to apply some minor bug fixes.
blah blah blah, don't worry about any of that for now...
You will know for sure that you need to update office if you copy from excel and the special paste option that opens a microsoft office excel object option are not options when you right click to paste in word.
 SOOOOOO, when you right click to copy your excel doc in excel then right click in word to paste and the special paste option isn't displayed with the other paste option then office will need another upgrade.
If special paste option appears when you right click.....read on and good luck!

To embed an excel sheet into a word document you can try these steps:-
1.     In Excel, click on the chart and do Edit > Copy (or, click on the chart and do ctrl-c). Or, select the cells you want to appear in your Word document and do Edit > Copy or ctrl-c.
2.     Switch to Word
3.     Now, click on Edit > Paste Special and choose Microsoft office excel chart object......

If all of that worked and you want to link your Excel doc and the Word doc (so the Word doc will convert and save whenever you work on the Excel doc. All editing/changes will be ''linked'' then click the Paste Link option). And click OK.

Oh, and if you want to hide any gridlines click on table->and click on hide gridlines.

Hope this helped and good Luck with it :)