Author Topic: Thomas Hilton, yeoman, of Greystoke - marriage  (Read 1718 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Hilton, yeoman, of Greystoke - marriage
« on: Tuesday 13 September 16 01:42 BST (UK) »
I've found that my ancestor, Jane Hilton, was baptised to Thomas Hilton and wife Jane in Oct 1734 in Watermillock, Cumberland.

I found her father's will: Reference PROB/1771/W354 Title Will of Thomas Hilton, yeoman, of Bennethead, Greystoke, Cumberland

But I can't afford the cost of ordering a scan (I live in the States) right now.

I am trying to learn more about him. So far, I have been completely unable to find his marriage to wife Jane.

At his death in 1770 he is a "householder" in Bennet Head, Watermillock.

Looks like he had at least 2 other children: Mary, b. 1728, and Joseph, b. 1731.

Any help on tracing Thomas further is appreciated!

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hilton, yeoman, of Greystoke - marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can look go to the archives and look at the will for you.  Might be able to go later this week or next week if that's any good to you?
J
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can look go to the archives and look at the will for you.  Might be able to go later this week or next week if that's any good to you?
J

Wow, thank you so much. If you'd be willing, I would love that. I am so grateful for your offer!

Offline smol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hello
I was very interested to read your post as Thomas Hilton and wife Jane are my husband's 6xgreat grandparents.
I have a copy of the will you mention and can send you details of the information given.
I also have not found a marriage for Thomas and his wife, but it is a long time since I did any work on this family. I have 3 children for them Joseph (1731 - 1813) Mary who I think marries Thomas Barrow and Jane who marries Jacob Woof. The woof family are my husband's line.
I have recently moved house and much of my fam history "stuff" is still stored in boxes but I may be able to help further.
smol

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello
I was very interested to read your post as Thomas Hilton and wife Jane are my husband's 6xgreat grandparents.
I have a copy of the will you mention and can send you details of the information given.
I also have not found a marriage for Thomas and his wife, but it is a long time since I did any work on this family. I have 3 children for them Joseph (1731 - 1813) Mary who I think marries Thomas Barrow and Jane who marries Jacob Woof. The woof family are my husband's line.
I have recently moved house and much of my fam history "stuff" is still stored in boxes but I may be able to help further.
smol

Hi Smol,

Wow, amazing! You can email me at hilary.k.ellis@gmail.com to discuss. Can't figure out how to direct msg you on here. I would LOVE to see Thomas's will.

I am descended from the Woofs, too...Jacob Woof and Jane had a son, Joseph Woof, who married Ann Sandwick and lived at The Cove farm in Watermillock. Their son, Jacob Woof, moved to Manchester as a joiner/builder and married Catherine Green, daughter of a quilt manufacturer there. Their daughter, Mary Ann Woof, married the musician Frederick Vetter and their children immigrated to Canada. Would love to hear how far down your connection goes.

Thanks!

Offline smol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary
I will get back to you as soon as I can, with details about the will.
Cove is now a campsite. I have a photograph of the front door with JW 1752above the porch.
I will try to send it. Also a gravestone from Watermillock churchyard which is very difficult to read but I have done a transcript.
I just need a little time to get my act together but I will be in touch.
smol

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary
I will get back to you as soon as I can, with details about the will.
Cove is now a campsite. I have a photograph of the front door with JW 1752above the porch.
I will try to send it. Also a gravestone from Watermillock churchyard which is very difficult to read but I have done a transcript.
I just need a little time to get my act together but I will be in touch.
smol

Thank you so much. I am very excited to hear from you.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm going to the archives probably tomorrow morning, but I see smol has a copy of the will you want.  Do you want me to look at any of the records to see if there is any other info that might help you? Parish records etc?, while I'm there?
J
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm going to the archives probably tomorrow morning, but I see smol has a copy of the will you want.  Do you want me to look at any of the records to see if there is any other info that might help you? Parish records etc?, while I'm there?
J

Hi J,

If you are offering, there are a few things I needed from the archives. I also am looking for Ann Sandwick and Jacob Woof's marriage details (witnesses, etc) - they were married 25 May 1795 in Penrith, Cumberland and for a baptism for Ann Sandwick circa 1772 in Greystoke.

Here are the reference numbers:

Reference PROB/1771/W354 Title Will of Thomas Hilton, yeoman, of Bennethead, Greystoke, Cumberland

Administration of Jacob Woof, waller, of Cove, Greystoke, Cumberland PROB/1795/A(33)

Will of Joseph Woof, yeoman, of Cove, Greystoke, Cumberland PROB/1851/W764

Reference   WDY 71/47
Alternative ref.   Acc. 935
Title   Photocopy of Will of George Myers of Staveley, Westmorland, clerk in holy orders.
Dated 14 July 1806.
Probate 11 April 1807.

Archive centre   Kendal
Reference   WPR 68/12/1/4/1
Alternative ref.   WPR 68/1/7/5
Title   Letter of [Reverend] P Strickland to [Mr Wilson] about his teaching of school as provided for in will of George Jopson [with details of his predecessor, Reverend George Myers and of trust estates]. Undated [but pre-June 1824].

Archive centre   Whitehaven
Reference   YDRC/10/6/35
Title   Certificate of Baptism of George Myers at Broughton-in-Furness on 21st May 1726
Date   26 May 1749
Extent   1 item
Physical description   Good
Catalogue level   Item

Archive centre   Barrow
Reference   BDHJ/452/2/3
Title   Conveyance of Bracelet, Broughton-in-Furness
Description   1. George Ashburner of Bracelet, Broughton-in-Furness, yeaman
2. William Myre the younger of Myrehouse, Millom
Consideration: £332 10s
Premises: ancient customary and tenant right estate with appurtenances at Bracelet, Broughton-in-Furness
Witnesses: Myles Remington, John Myres, John Askew, John Wennington, Christopher Stephens, James Towers
Date   30 Nov 1680

Not sure if these are all in the same archive center?

If you have time to make scans or look up any of these, I would be so very eternally grateful! In exchange, please let me know if I can help you with anything - I have a Findmypast subscription and Ancestry free trial for the next several days. I am happy to do my best to help you in any way I can. I am so appreciative of your offer!!