Author Topic: The "New Inn" in Abersychan  (Read 2200 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The "New Inn" in Abersychan
« on: Tuesday 13 September 16 07:24 BST (UK) »
I would love to have a photo of, and information about, the "Lamb and Flag" (Inn, Public house, or Beerhouse) at 50 High Street, Abersychan.  I don't know what year it begin, but it appears to have been in existence in 1839.  Between 1864 and 1865 the name of the pub was changed to the "New Inn."  The building next door, which was probably part of the pub held vats in the back for brewing beer or ale.  In 1920 the "New Inn" was still on 50 High St., but sometime after that the "New Inn" was relocated to its current building at 130 High Street, Abersychan.

The building that stood at 50 High Street, was torn down April 15, 1978.  I heard there was a newspaper article written around that time that gave a little history on the building.  My father has a photo of it before it was torn down with a for sale sign, broken windows, and all boarded up.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01igm/
This is the empty lot on 50 High Street where the "Lamb and Flag" once stood.

My 2nd great grandfather, John Bradley (Braidley/Bradney) leased the "Lamb and Flag" before immigrating to the USA in 1862.  In 1859 it was advertised "To Be Let," so he could have leased it at that time until he left in April 1862.
John Bradley, Abersychan, was fined for offences against the Beer Act in September 1860.  A letter from a James Bradley written in July 1880, mentions "It is James Bradley that is writing to you. Know I was at your house the Lamb and Flag 20 Years ago.."  John was listed on the 1861 census as a Beerhouse Keeper, but the address was "Main St."  (Was there a Main Street in Abersychan?  Was High Street the main street?)  In 1862 his address was given on the emigration register as: "Mr. John Bradley, Lamb & Flag Inn, Abersychan, Mon., E."
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The "New Inn" in Abersychan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 07:29 BST (UK) »
I want to thank hanes teulu for sharing the link to the "Welsh Newspapers on line" in a Somerset post.  Before that I couldn't find any mention of the "Lamb and Flag," except the note in the letter and emigration register.
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.